Goal Setting for the Next Semester

If I am being honest…it has not been my day, my week, my month, or even my year. For the past 8 months or so I feel that my days have all merged together.

Something that has dramatically helped me get through this hard time is goals. Setting goals for myself keeps me accountable and makes this crazy time seem a bit more normal.

Currently, a lot of our focus is on the upcoming holidays, which can be a really exciting time for us! It’s going to fly by and before we know it, it’ll be time for the spring semester. I think a valuable thing to do when you have downtime is to make a list of goals you want to accomplish. I don’t mean only academic goals, either. Figure out the goals you want to achieve that would make you proud. When setting goals for myself, I put them into three categories:

1. Academic goals:woman smiling using her laptop As a senior, I have a lot to think about. All this hard work I’ve done to get to this point will come to an end, which can be scary! There are a lot of academic goals that are totally attainable. Here are some examples:

• Maintain all A’s and B’s in all 6 of my classes this semester
  • Research 5 internships that you would be interested in this summer (Check out URI’s Career Center)
  • Apply to 3 jobs that relate to your major (try looking on Handshake)

2. Physical health goals: Fitness looks different for everyone. For some people, that woman smiling holding a weightmeans going to the gym three to five times a week. For others, they stay active by going on hikes. Everyone is different, and the way they choose to be active depends on the person. For those interested in group workout classes, Campus Recreation offers a variety for students. Here are some examples of goals regarding fitness and health:

• Hit 10,000 steps every day
  • Eat vegetarian 2-3 times a week (Try AllRecipes for ideas)
  • Start taking yoga lessons once a week

3. Mental goals: Mental health and physical health go hand in hand with one pottery, ceramic makinganother. This year has been hard on us all, and we have to prioritize our mental health. Finding new hobbies, hanging out with friends, and taking time off from our screens are all great ways to reduce stress levels. In addition, Campus Recreation offers various wellness programs that you can sign up for at IMLeagues.com/uri. Here are some examples of mental health goals:

• Meditate for 10 minutes 5 times a week
  • Start a new hobby for stress-relief: painting, ceramics, or knitting
  • Reduce your weekly screen time by 1 hour on average

Setting goals for yourself put into perspective what you really want. These goals don’t have to be crazy, they are more just to lay out what you want for the spring semester. Also, try not to be too hard on yourself. You are doing great!

author: Lisa M.

headshot of lisaHi! I’m Lisa, a senior at URI getting my degree in public relations. I have lived in Rhode Island my whole life and decided to continue my education here. I am excited to be working with URI Campus Recreation this semester. With everything going on in 2020, it has sparked my passion for health and wellbeing. During these hard times, I find it’s easy to get into a rut, but I have tried my best to stay positive and focus on what makes me happy. I try to be outdoors as often as I can. I love going to the beach, biking, and just and enjoying the warm weather while I can.”