Japanese B.A., G.L.A.S.

Study Abroad

Exchange Programs

Choose a school that fits your needs and preferences from among our exchange partner universities. Spend a semester or a year at Kochi University, Waseda University, Seinan Gakuin University, Kansai Gaidai University, Kyushu University, Okayama University, or Niigata University

Seinan Gakuin University
Seinan Gakuin University was founded in 1916. “Seinan” means “southwest” in Japanese, and SGU is located in southwestern Japan in Fukuoka, which is on the coast with nice beaches. Some 7,530 students attend Seinan Gakuin. Fifteen percent of the full-time SGU faculty are non-Japanese.

Japanese International Engineering Program Study Abroad

Japanese IEP students can choose between Kyushu University, Niigata University, Waseda University and Okayama University. They typically first spend a semester of study at one of those partner universities and then intern for six months in a Japanese company or in a research laboratory at their partner university.

The Critical Language Scholarship (CLS) Program

This program offered by the U.S. Department of State is an intensive overseas language and cultural immersion program for American students enrolled at U.S. colleges and universities. Students spend eight to ten weeks abroad studying one of 15 critical languages. The program includes intensive language instruction and structured cultural enrichment experiences designed to promote rapid language gains.
Learn More

Summer Program in Japan

Spend five weeks in the summer at our partner school Kochi University and earn credits that can be counted toward your minor in Japanese.  This highly popular program will take you to the heart of beautiful and traditional Japan.

Summer I and II on the URI campus

JPN 103 and 104 are offered during Summer I and Summer II respectively. These intensive courses allow students in the junior year to pursue a minor in Japanese.

Faculty-led J-term trip to Japan

Get a taste of Japan with experts! Explore Japan during a two-week trip led by faculty members who are specialists on Japan and the Japanese language—and earn credits for a minor in Japanese. Highly recommended for students who are planning to spend a semester or a year in Japan.