Graduate Dietetics Future Education Model
There are two routes for admission, Pre-Select for current URI students and General for students from other universities and URI students who either do not to apply or are not accepted for Pre-Select.
- Pre-Select Process
- Open to current URI B.S. in Dietetics program students only
- Completion of a bachelor’s degree with a cumulative undergraduate GPA of at least 3.0
- In addition to the general requirements below for the Master of Science degree, completion of an ACEND accredited Didactic Program in Dietetics (DPD) program within 5 years of the application deadline is required with a Verification Statement signed by the DPD Director. Students completing their DPD more than 5 years before the application may require additional coursework.
- Non-native English Speakers must also send official TOEFL scores unless they have completed a bachelor’s degree from a U.S. institution.
Coursework requirements include a minimum of:
- Two semesters of Chemistry
- One semester each of:
- Anatomy or Biology
- Human Physiology
- An advanced Nutrition course with a Biochemistry prerequisite
How to Apply
- Application to the Dietetic Internship
- Applicants must submit an online application to DICAS (Dietetic Internship Centralized Application Services). Please see the DICAS website for current application information and fees. The URI application site is not currently open. We expect the site to open November 1, 2023.
- Applicants who apply to internships using DICAS will be asked to complete a personal statement with a maximum of approximately 1,000 words. Questions to be addressed in the personal statement include:
- Why do you want to enter the dietetics profession?
- What are some experiences that have helped to prepare you for your career?
- What do justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion mean to you as a future dietetics professional?
- What are your short-term and long-term goals?
- What are your strengths and weaknesses or areas needing improvement?
- Why did you choose the University of Rhode Island?
- Official electronic transcripts from all colleges and universities attended should be sent to DICAS.
- When completing the DICAS application form, you must include the name and contact information (specifically an e-mail address) for each reference. This will trigger an e-mail message requesting completion of an online reference form. Please submit three references including an academic reference who can discuss your potential to complete a master’s degree.
- List all work, extracurricular, and/or volunteer experiences in the appropriate sections; resumes will not be used for evaluation of work and volunteer experiences.
- Computer Matching
- Applicants must also register online for computer matching and select URI as a dietetic internship priority choice by the application deadline. Please see the D&D Digital website for current application fee and deadline information.
- Application to the URI Graduate School
- The graduate school will be using the DICAS application and no further application or application fee is needed; do not submit a separate application to the URI Graduate School.
- Criteria used for admission include:
- Academic achievement
- Relevant work experience
- Personal statement
- Recommendation letters
- Extracurricular/volunteer activities
- Commitment to or experience related to diversity, equity, inclusion and justice
Enrollment is expected to be limited to eight students in 2024-2025.