Five Questions with the RISBDC’s New Part-Time Small Business Consultants

The RISBDC welcomes three new part-time business advisors to our team of dedicated consultants who support entrepreneurs and small business owners in every stage of development, from start-up to maturity. We’re proud to introduce them here and share a little about their backgrounds and passions.

Amanda Basse

Marketing Counselor

What in your background led you to this role?
I began digital marketing in 2010 when I was in a direct sales role. My colleague was crushing his sales goals. I asked him what he was doing and he graciously shared digital marketing with me. Since then I have been a digital marketing evangelist because I have seen that it can transform a business. I love working with small businesses because they are the backbone of our country. As an entrepreneur myself,  I have a passion to see other entrepreneurs succeed.

What is your favorite part of working with entrepreneurs and small business owners?
I love working with businesses who take massive action because they get massive results. It is so rewarding when a small business implements what they learn and as a result see the fruits of their labor. Imperfect action will always win over inaction.

What is one silver lining coming out of this (COVID-19) crisis for small businesses?
Business owners need to master the “pivot” to be successful. What worked even last year might not work today. It can be frustrating and scary. However, the silver lining in this crisis is many businesses that were hesitant to incorporate a digital marketing strategy are now looking for ways to grow their digital presence. This will serve them in the long run, when they are steps ahead of their competitors who haven’t been willing to adapt.

What are the most important traits in a small business advisor?
Small business consultancy is like detective work. That is why I spend a good amount of time on exploratory calls, so we can really dig into who the business serves and what their value proposition is. It is important I understand the pain points and needs of your business before I can offer suggestions on digital marketing. Not every channel is for every business. That helps shape the channels and messaging a business should focus on.

What do you enjoy in your free time?
In my free time I enjoy hosting dinner parties and Salsa dancing—bonus points if we can dance Salsa at the dinner party!

Yashwant Meghare

Business Advisor

The functioning behind the storefront operations of a small business is oblivious to most people. I used to be one of them, until COVID-19 set in and I experienced how everything almost came to a halt with the local economy in peril. My previous experience in the field of communications and marketing helped me understand how simple processes can become complicated due to lack of effective communication. When it was time for businesses to reopen in RI, I wanted to be a part of the grassroots movement to bring local small businesses back to full strength, and I wanted to guide people efficiently without any further losses. Effective communication skills are necessary to avoid any miscommunication, especially now when news, laws, and regulations are changing day to day.

As a Business Advisor, I get to meet a variety of entrepreneurs and small business owners who have great ideas to contribute to the local economy. I meet people who are actively pursuing their dreams. I take immense pleasure that I get to be a part of the process and help make their dreams reality.

Small businesses have an opportunity to restart in a completely new manner which is going to make them more sustainable. The crisis has led to almost all businesses reevaluating their daily practices down to every minute detail. This will allow businesses to avoid wasting resources and time, which will lead to increasing profits much more efficiently as they focus on various aspects of running a business that otherwise get ignored. Businesses will also be able to make more environmentally-friendly choices that would otherwise take a backseat.

Communication skills. While being able to talk to your client and guiding them is essential, effective communication also involves listening to your client’s needs. Good communication skills are a must to understand the client’s strengths and weaknesses. More importantly, addressing these weaknesses must be done in a manner which confirms you are there to support them, tackle weaknesses, and help them reach their goal.

What do you enjoy in your free time?
I enjoy spending my free time in the kitchen, in the mountains or listening to music.

Henry Schwarzbach

Business Advisor

I started working in small businesses when I was 15, making deliveries, selling, and working in the warehouse at my neighbor’s mattress company. I liked marketing and sales but not as much as finance. That led me to major in Economics and minor in Accounting at UCLA. While at UCLA I had a part time job with a small CPA firm, and I had my own small businesses. Following UCLA I joined the Navy, where I helped program the first cost and budgeting systems for Navy shipyards. I went to school while in the Navy and received an MBA in Finance. After leaving the Navy, I started my own small business consulting company, and got a contract with the SBA and Hawaiian Economic Development Corporation to help Native Hawaiians with Finance and Accounting. I was also teaching part time at University of Hawaii and Chaminade College, leading to a PhD at University of Colorado and a career in teaching, research, and consulting. I now teach part time online but much prefer working with businesses. The current economic crisis led me to help some businesses with their PPP applications, and to the RISBDC. I enjoy keeping up with new developments in finance, accounting, management, and technology.

I enjoy learning about businesses, helping business owners grow their businesses, and teaching finance, accounting, and basic business concepts.

What doesn’t kill you makes you stronger. Coming out of a crisis or recession, companies know the importance of planning, flexibility, and quick action. They are leaner and ready to grow. They also gain empathy for customers, employees, and the community. This helps to build a customer- and employee-focused business.

The advisor needs to know their specialty deeply, but also have the ability to sell that knowledge to the client.

What do you enjoy in your free time?
In my free time I sail, play sports with my grandkids, garden, study business and economics, and travel.

Welcome to the RISBDC team Amanda, Yashwant, and Henry!