Finish-What-You-Started (FWYS) provides a path to a degree for students who separated from URI prior to receiving their degrees. The University recognizes that financial barriers may prevent re-enrollment. With assistance from the U.S. Department of Education and the R.I. Office of the Postsecondary Commissioner, the University is pleased to provide these scholarships.
Qualified students will receive up to $500 and may receive one scholarship per academic year. Students must match the grant dollar for dollar. (For example, a student receiving $250 will be expected to contribute $250.) Scholarships, which do not have to be repaid, will be awarded to cover educational expenses (tuition, fees, textbooks, educational supplies) previously incurred or expected to be incurred at the University of Rhode Island.
The grant is intended to assist students in re-enrollment, not to cover 100% of educational costs. Those returning to college are strongly encouraged to speak with an advisor about other scholarship and financial aid opportunities.
- Be a Finish-What-You-Started Program participant. (Info at uri.edu/finish)
- Demonstrate financial need through the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at fafsa.ed.gov (Use School Code 003414).
- Be admitted as a matriculating student in an undergraduate, degree-granting program at URI.
- Be planning to earn a degree at the University of Rhode Island or Rhode Island College.
- Be no more than 50 credits away from earning a degree.
- Consult with a FWYS advisor before submitting a scholarship application.