There are three steps required to apply to the combined Dietetic Internship Master of Science program.
1. Application to the Graduate School
Graduate Application – you must submit the on-line graduate application (http://www.uri.edu/gsadmis/). Note that all materials including transcripts and GRE scores must be received by the February deadline.
- Unofficial transcripts from all institutions of higher education must be included in the Graduate School application. Note that you have to have official transcripts sent directly to DICAS. If you are admitted to the graduate program at URI, you will need to have an official transcript indicating completion of your bachelor’s degree sent directly to the Dietetic Internship Director as well as Graduate School before you can enroll in classes or start the internship.
- GRE scores – Official scores should be sent to the University of Rhode Island. Applications without official GRE scores will not be accepted.
- Application fee – you must submit the $50.00 fee for graduate application on-line.
- Please submit the same applicant’s statement submitted with the DICAS application. Include information about your research interests related to a Master’s Thesis at the University of Rhode Island.
- References –Do not insert the email of your referees on the Graduate School application form. In order to complete the form, you must insert two email addresses. Either use your own email for both referees or use generic email addresses. The reference forms required for dietetic internships will meet this requirement and must be submitted as part of the DICAS application. You must include at least one reference from an academic referee discussing your potential to complete an MS program including a Master’s Thesis.
- Non-native English Speakers must also send official TOEFL scores unless they have completed a bachelor’s degree from a U.S. institution.
- If accepted, Rhode Island residents must complete the Proof of Residency form and submit the required documentation before they can register for classes. This does not have to be submitted with the online graduate application.
2. Application to the Dietetic Internship
- This program is using the on-line centralized internship application, DICAS, which may be accessed athttps://portal.dicas.org; e-mail DICASinfo@DICAS.org The on-line application must be completed for our program by the deadline stipulated by DICAS. Please see the DICAS website for current application fee and deadline information.
- Applicants who apply to internships using DICAS will be asked to complete a personal statement with a maximum of approximately 1,000 words. Questions to be addressed in the personal statement include:
- Why do you want to enter the dietetics profession?
- What are some experiences that have helped to prepare you for your career?
- What are your short-term and long-term goals?
- What are your strengths and weaknesses or areas needing improvement?
- What are your research interests for your Master’s Thesis?
- Why did you choose University of Rhode Island?
- Official Transcripts from all colleges and universities attended should be sent to:DICAS – Transcript Dept., PO Box 9118, Watertown, Ma 02472
- When completing the application form, applicants must include the name and contact information (specifically an e-mail address) for each reference. This will trigger an e-mail message requesting completion of a reference form. The form will be completed on-line. Students submitting more than one application will need to use the same individuals as references for each application.
- Please be sure to list all work and extracurricular or volunteer experiences in the appropriate sections; resumes will not be used for evaluation of work and volunteer experiences. Practicum experiences for academic credit are not considered volunteer experiences.
3. Computer Matching
Applicants must also register online for computer matching and select University of Rhode Island as a dietetic internship priority choice by the deadline. Please see the D & D Digital website for current application fee and deadline information http://www.dnddigital.com.
Criteria used for admission include academic achievement, GRE scores, relevant work experience, personal statement of objectives including research interests, recommendation letters, and extracurricular/volunteer activities. Enrollment is expected to be limited to eight students.