The URI Computer Science (CS) Department is taking applications to be a part of the summer Pathways to Success in Computer Science (P2S in CS) program. This is a scholarship that provides:
- A summer stipend of $4,500 from May 22nd to July 28th; AND
- Tuition and book coverage for taking URI’s CSC 211 course in the summer; AND
- Computer Science career professional development and network building with local companies; AND
- Free on-campus housing and meal plan.
Scholarship recipients will be selected by a committee of faculty and staff in the URI CS Department. The deadline to apply for a place within P2S in CS is December 23rd, with notification of acceptance given by January 13th.
Description of the Program
The P2S in CS program will support 10 undergraduate CS students each year who are currently pursuing a CS degree to:
- Take a summer session of CSC 211 within a cohort model that provides students with extra support through study sessions and instruction on techniques on how to succeed in CS courses.
- Receive professional development to discuss topics such as: networking, resume building, interview skills, and college to career readiness.
- Make connections with peer mentors that are upper-level CS students who can share their experiences and help navigate the major.
- Build community within the cohort by learning about other students’ experiences and skill sets through team building excursions.
- Visit local industry partners to gain an understanding of the different tech sectors in Rhode island, experience a ‘day on the job’ at various places of work, and build professional networks.
- Have the opportunity to be matched in a Junior and/or Senior year internship with an industry partner.
- Have fun on campus for the summer!
This program is intended to increase participation of underrepresented groups in computer science, but we encourage all undergraduate students who are interested to apply. To be eligible for this opportunity you must be a URI undergraduate CS major who has completed CSC 106 and is registered for CSC 110 by December 23rd, or who wants to retake CSC 211 in the summer. P2S scholars must have completed the prerequisites for CSC 211 by the end of the Spring semester.
This is not a grades-based scholarship, but instead is meant to provide an opportunity for motivated students from diverse backgrounds to spend a summer exploring computer science on campus, while receiving summer pay and taking a CS course.
P2S scholars are expected to live on campus for the 10 weeks between May 22nd and July 28th, 2022. Scholars will participate in the program between 9am to 5pm Monday through Friday, with occasional evening commitments. They are expected to take CSC211, participate in all support provided for CSC211 (e.g. study sessions), and participate in all other P2S program activities (e.g. career professional development workshops).
- To apply you will need to submit 1) demographic and logistical information and 2) an 300-500 word essay on why you want to enroll in this program and what aspect you are most looking forward to.