URI Health Services provides services that may be of interest to lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, and other students at URI. We serve students of all sexual orientations and gender identities in a professional, non-judgmental manner.
- LGBTQ+ inclusive preventive care and well-adult visits/physicals
- Judgment-free STI prevention counseling
- Free condoms (just ask at URI Health Promotion)
- Free and confidential rapid HIV testing monthly, or on-demand for low cost
- Prescriptions for PEP (HIV post-exposure prophylaxis)
- Prescriptions for PrEP (HIV pre-exposure prophylaxis)
- Multi-site testing for gonorrhea and chlamydia (genital, throat, rectal)
- Syphilis screening
- Hepatitis A, B, and C screening
- Vaccinations for Hep A, Hep B, Meningitis, Meningitis B, and HPV for all genders
- Evaluation and treatment of STIs such as genital warts
- Cervical cancer screening and evaluation of abnormal cervical Pap tests
- Anal Pap testing if clinically needed
Transgender healthcare includes:
- Comprehensive, multidisciplinary services including primary care, gynecologic care, and wellness services.
- Gender-affirming hormone therapy instruction and injection once prescribed by a speciality healthcare provider in the community. URI HS can assist you with a referral to a specialist in our community to initiate hormone therapy.
- Gender-affirming gynecological and sexual health care, including cervical cancer screening/pelvic exams.
- Referrals for gender-affirming surgery to a specialist in the community.
- Referrals to specialists and other trans competent healthcare providers in the Rhode Island or requested state/area.
- If you require injections, the healthcare provider or a nurse will teach you a safe injection technique and/or provide them for you until you are fully comfortable with self-administration.
- At all of these appointments, your provider will continue to promote health and wellness. (This is something we do for all of our patients.) You will be counseled on healthy diet and exercise habits, appropriate immunizations, STI & HIV testing and pregnancy prevention. (if applicable).
- Our laboratory can perform routine labs for individuals on hormone therapy once ordered by healthcare provider.
- All services are confidential.
- There are no copayments required for medical visits for eligible services. However, lab and X-ray charges may be the student’s responsibility following health insurance processing.
- It doesn’t matter which health insurance plan you are covered under, you can still be seen at URI HS.
- All full-time students are eligible to be seen (covered under the Health Service fee). Part-time students may pay the Health Service fee if they wish to be seen here.