The Government Publications collection consists of publications produced by both the federal government and the state of Rhode Island. Although the University of Rhode Island is a selective depository for U.S. government documents, our collection of federal documents is the largest in the state of Rhode Island. Our Rhode Island State Publications collection is one of three permanent depositories in the state. Government publications are available for use by the public as well as the academic community. Some government publications may be borrowed.
The holdings of the Government Publications Unit consist of the following types of materials:
- United States government documents
This collection includes documents produced by the Congress (hearings, reports, debates), the judiciary, and all departments, agencies, and bureaus of the executive branch of government.
- Rhode Island state documents
This collection of documents, produced by various divisions of government within the state of Rhode Island, includes Rhode Island General Assembly bills, laws, state supreme court decisions, and reports of state departments.
- Technical reports
Technical reports cover a great variety of subjects on the results of research conducted by government agencies or by U.S. corporations and universities under government funding. The University Library has a large technical report collection.
This collection consists of topographic maps of the New England states and aeronautical and hydrographic charts of the United States and the world. Nautical charts for the East Coast and the Gulf of Mexico are housed at the Pell Marine Science Library.
Finding Government Information
- Most government publications and web resources are available through the URI Libraries Search platform.
- Many research guides to finding government publications and information are also available.
- Robert L. Carothers Library & Learning Commons, Kingston • 401.874.2653
- Providence Campus Library, Providence • 401.277.5130
- Pell Marine Science Library, Narragansett • 401.874.6161