To provide equivalent services to distance learners as to on-campus students, the University Libraries provide the following support to distance learners. A distance learner is anyone who is enrolled in courses delivered totally online on course management systems such as Sakai or other delivery methods where in-person visits to campus are not required.
To access electronic services at University Libraries, use your eCampus username and your Sakai password.
Reference & Research Help
Reference & research help is available to all off-campus users of University Libraries in the following ways:
- Telephone — Info & Research Help Desk, Kingston – (401) 874-2653; Providence – (401) 277-5130.
- Online chat research assistance — Chat with URILibrarian
- Individual consultation and referral to subject selectors — contact the Info & Research Help Desk — firstname.lastname@example.org
Tips for Using the Library
To learn more about using the Library, visit the following links:
- InfoRhode Tutorials – Short videos covering research skills
- User Guides – Links to article databases and research tools
Course materials placed on Electronic Reserve by instructors are available through the library catalog and Sakai.
Accessing material from other libraries
Interlibrary Loan — For material that is not available in the URI system.
- Most articles ordered through Interlibrary loan will be delivered electronically.
Other Helpful Links
Getting Started @ The Libraries
Off-Campus Access to Library Online Resources
Articles & Databases – To find articles
Library Cards for Distance Learners
Part-time students not physically located in Rhode Island who are enrolled in URI distance courses may be issued special library cards after departmental confirmation. Department chairs should send a list of enrolled students to the Head of Access Services or the Head of Circulation and cards will be sent to the department who are responsible for delivery to the students.
Jim Kinnie · 12/2006, 12/2013; Amanda Izenstark, rev. 6/2015, 7/2017