URI Botanical Gardens
6 Greenhouse Road | Kingston, RI 02881
This new for 2018 project is primarily a Demonstration Garden that will feature In-the-ground showcases of sustainable gardening techniques in rehabilitating multiple gardens on-site including ones for Native Plants and Pollinators, aquatic plants, sustainable roses, and multiple perennial and woody plant beds. Existing raised beds will also be integrated into the existing Learning landscape and School Garden Mentor programs. This Botanical Garden surrounding the Mallon Center on the URI campus will feature free educational tours and programs and be a venue for Extension events such as the URI Spring Festival and Learning Landscape Field Trips.
The goals for this project for 2018 and the future are:
- Integrate the vegetable beds into the Learning Landscape and School Garden Mentor programs as a resource and training ground for program participants
- Refurbish and improve the Native Plant Garden, the raised vegetable beds, the Rose Garden and the perennial beds surrounding the Mallon Center for future use as outdoor classroom, meeting space and event venue for the MGP.
- Build public awareness of native cultivars, their rightful place in the home landscape and their importance in the state for beneficial insects and pollinators.
- Train Master Gardener and Community volunteers to identify both native and invasive plants and best practices in propagating natives and removing invasives
- Create a cadre of knowledgeable volunteers who are able to assist and/or train other volunteers and citizens in planting natives in home and municipal landscapes, care of Roses, shrubs and perennials, and implementing plant education for children and schools.