What is a zero-6 program and how is it different from a 2/4 program?
A zero-6 program admits you directly as a freshman to the Pharm.D. program.
Generally you need to maintain a minimum grade point average to keep your seat for the professional curriculum (P1 – year 3). We are a zero-6 program.

A 2/4 program admits you as a freshman to a pre-pharmacy program.
During your sophomore year, you need to formally apply to the professional part of the curriculum. You will prepare an application, and compete with many other candidates for the available seats.

If I am accepted at the URI College of Pharmacy, must I reapply to get into the professional curriculum (year 3)?
No, your admission to the professional curriculum is automatic as long as you maintain a 2.7 QPA in your science and math pre-requisites with no grade less than C-, and successfully complete an interview in your sophomore year. You must meet and maintain this requirement by the end of both your third and fourth semesters to retain your seat.

If I don’t get pharmacy as my first choice, can I transfer into the third year?
Since a significant number of students are not admitted as freshmen, they choose to compete for any open seats for entry at the end of two years. Anyone choosing this option must understand there is no guarantee that they will get a seat even though they have met the pre-requisites with good grades. There are additional requirements that must be completed to qualify for an interview.

How does the being at URI for 6 years effect my financial aid status?
Pharm.D. students who are enrolled at the University for more than four years may experience a change in their financial aid status. Please contact Financial Aid for more information.

Can I take my pre-pharmacy courses at another school and apply for transfer to URI?
Yes, but space is very limited. The requirements for transfer students can be found on the Admissions website (www.uri.edu/admission).

Can I take courses off campus that are part of my pre-pharmacy and general education work?
A limited number of courses can be taken off campus. Contact the Office of Student Affairs to check which courses provide URI transfer credit. It must be understood that you must get a C or better, and that you will only get the credits. The grade does not transfer back into your URI GPA.

Can I qualify for the New England Regional Rate for the Pharmacy Program if I come from Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont or Massachusetts?
Beginning in the Fall 2016, new freshmen will not be eligible for this program. Tuition and fee information can be found on the Enrollment Services website (https://web.uri.edu/enrollment/costs/)

I have a lot of AP and EEP credits. Can I skip ahead and finish early?
No, you can work on a minor or another major, study abroad, engage in some other university activity, or lighten your load each semester until the professional curriculum begins. You must never fall below 12 credits.

When I graduate, do I have to take my licensing exam in Rhode Island?
No, you will be eligible to take the National Licensing Exam for any state you choose. You will need to pass the law exam in the state(s) in which you are planning to practice.

As an international student, what will I have to do to become licensed in my home country? Exam and licensure requirements will vary from country to country, please verify with your national pharmacy organization for resources towards practice: Member organisations – FIP – International Pharmaceutical Federation

For example, students looking to practice in Korea after graduation should consult The Korean Pharmacists Association at http://eng.kpanet.or.kr/pharmacist/pharmacist03.jsp

When can I begin to work as an intern?
Generally you can work as an intern when you are in the professional curriculum. States vary on exact time so you need to check with your State Board of Pharmacy for application and fee information. Please note you can expect to earn some internship hours during your early experience training in your P1 and P2 years.

When do I start my rotations? Do you find spots for me? Can I get paid for this?
Your advanced practice rotations begin in year 6 and run through the whole year. You are assigned to sites based on your interest and availability of preceptors. You may propose a rotation, provided it meets the education outcomes of the program. You are not paid, you are earning credits.