Bioinformatics concerns the analysis and interpretation of various types of data including high-throughput omics data (NGS, proteomics, metabolomics, etc). The Core provides consultation, service and training for bioinformatics and data science challenges encountered in your research. We also promote building bioinformatics and data science infrastructure at our primarily undergraduate institutions by training faculty and students and providing computational resources.
The Bioinformatics Core
- Aims to provide expert consultation by developing informatics strategies for analysis of complex data sets
- Educates faculty and students regarding bioinformatics approaches for their research in the RI-INBRE thematic areas of Cancer, Environmental Health Sciences, and Neuroscience
- Works closely with the RI-INBRE Centralized Research Core Facility and the Genomics and Sequencing Center at URI to coordinate analyses that require multiple computational and experimental resources
- Maintain contact with other cores and user facilities in Rhode Island and New England and can refer you if your research needs can’t be met with available resources
- Explores the use of novel technologies such as virtual/augmented reality for use in teaching and research
If you utilize the core services, please remember to acknowledge the core facility in your future correspondence. For small-scale analyses, a line in the Acknowledgements sections of your manuscript is sufficient. For more extensive assistance with larger-scale analyses, please include core personnel as co-authors. Please keep us informed of any manuscripts or grant submissions involving the core so that we may keep metrics for reporting to NIH.
To simplify communication and keep our users up to date on Core functions, we have set up a listserv at URI. To join the listserv, send an email to email@example.com with the following in the body of the message: subscribe INBRE-BIOINFO your name. If you do not receive an email confirming your subscription, send an email directly to firstname.lastname@example.org.