… re-imagining tickborne disease prevention education
One of our newest innovations …
JUST IN TIME learning for tick bite protection and tickborne disease prevention education.
What you need to know … When you need to know it!
Check out Dr. Thomas Mather, Director of TickEncounter, on ABC 6!
ABC 6 – Tick Week Video Clips
August 1, 2022 – Ticks and summertime go hand-in-hand across Southern New England. ABC 6’s Kelly Bates talked to “The TickGuy”, Dr. Thomas Mather, from the University of Rhode Island to learn more about two types of ticks new to New England and how to bring a tick expert along on your next outdoor adventure.
Episode 1: The Meat Allergy Tick Spotted in Rhode Island
Episode 2: New Tick Just Found In Rhode Island Multiplying Fast
Episode 3: August Affects Common Ticks in Southern New England
Episode 4: Tick Education, Engagement and Empowerment Through Technology
Most Recent Blog Posts
- WEIRD, WARM WINTER! - Think ticks are killed by harsh winter weather leading to fewer ticks in summer? Or that mild winters lead straight to summer tickapocalypses? How bad are ticks going to be this year?
- DIFFERENT TICKS…DIFFERENT DISEASES - Everyone should know how to identify the different types of ticks they might encounter where they live. But WHY is knowing the type of tick you encounter so important. Aren't all ticks "risky"?
- Just Tell Me What I Need to Know … When I Need to Know it - There are a lot of fairly simple things that people can do to help protect against ticks but most people also could use a nudge to help them remember to do them.
- Ways Ticks Get Into Your House - I’m pretty sure no one wants to find a tick – either engorged or unfed -- crawling across their floor or furniture. Even the TickGuy really doesn’t like finding loose and wandering ticks inside...
- Huntin’ Lands (podcast) – Picking the Best Tick Repellents in 2022 - June 21, 2022 - Hunters, outdoorsman, and their families spend a lot of time in the woods in the warm months, so we spend time with ticks, and some of those ticks carry horrible crippling diseases. On this episode, Joe and Butch talk with renowned tick expert Dr. Thomas Mather about the tick-borne illnesses, tick-avoiding practices ...
- Insect Shield (blog post) – Preventing Tick Bites and Avoiding Lyme Disease - August 4, 2021 Disease Prevention Experts & Partners - An interview with Tick Expert, Dr. Thomas Mather talking about the threat of ticks, resources on his website, and his latest initiative called “Be Ready For Ticks!”
- Consumer Reports – Will That Tick Make You Sick? A Visual Guide - By Catherine Roberts, July 25, 2021 One out of every 2,000 emergency department visits is for a tick bite, according to a recent study from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention...
- The Naked Scientists (podcast) – Lyme Disease: Ticks, Trends, and Treatment - July 6, 2021, Presented by Chris Smith and Eva Higginbotham With Lyme disease on the rise we’re exploring the science behind this complex condition…