Faculty Rights and Responsibilities
- Determine content of each course, and how it is taught.
- Decide how to best instruct students and assess student learning.
- Consult with knowledgeable professionals on methods to accommodate learning needs of students with disabilities.
- Receive notice of accommodation needs, with reasonable advance notice.
- Maintain academic standards of courses.
- Question and negotiate specific accommodations to ensure that they will not change essential requirements of course.
- Determine grades appropriate to the level of student’s demonstration of mastery of material, with or without disability accommodations.
- Respectful treatment by all students.
- Enforce student conduct policies equally for all students.
- Reasonably accommodate students who provide documentation of a disability through URI Disability Services for Students.
- Maintain student confidentiality in all environments, particularly in the classroom.
- Respect student privacy about the disability; discuss only academic performance needs with the student.
- Address the accommodation letter from Disability Services in a timely manner.
- Understand policies and laws regarding students with disabilities.
- Communicate the availability of support for students with disabilities via a syllabus statement and/or by class announcement.
- Understand that student conduct issues require appropriate counseling, regardless of the presence of a disability.
Student Rights and responsibilities
- Nondiscrimination and equal opportunity.
- Respectful treatment by all university personnel.
- Equal access to programs services, activities and facilities provided by the University.
- Reasonable and appropriate accommodations according to the individual’s disability (i.e. academic adjustment or auxiliary aids, determined on a case-by-case basis using required documentation).
- Appropriate and reasonable confidentiality of information related to student’s disability.
- Disclose the disability and provide current documentation from an appropriate provider to URI Disability Services for Students.
- Complete the Accommodation Request Form each semester by meeting with advisors in the Disability Services for Students Office.
- Discuss the Accommodation Letter with each faculty member in advance of the needed accommodation.
- Make best effort to demonstrate mastery of course material.
- Meet all program requirements for graduation.
- Treat all university personnel respectfully.
(Adapted from: http://www.rosscenter.umb.edu/text/sh5.htm#five; AHEAD Guidelines; NASPA Guidelines, URI Policies and Procedures)