M.A. in TESOL/Bilingual and Dual Language Immersion
Candidates will be selected on the basis of three key areas:
- Knowledge: The URI Graduate School recommends have an undergraduate GPA of 3.0;
- Skills: Demonstrated teaching experience or concurrent enrollment in a teacher preparation program
- Dispositions toward teaching language and learning: Applicants must demonstrate positive dispositions toward continued learning, and toward teaching literacy to all students and equal opportunity for all students.
International Students must demonstrate English Language Proficiency: Click here for Graduate School requirements
GRE scores are not required for this program.
Tuition and Fees
Students who are accepted into the Graduate School with an M.A. in TESOL/Bilingual and Dual Language Immersion are eligible for the reduced tuition rates below.
$499 per credit hour
$1,497 per 3-credit course
School of Education requirement: TaskStream Account
Other standard graduate student fees can be found on the Enrollment Services website
How to Apply
We accept students with rolling admission deadlines:
Fall admission: July 15 deadline
Spring admission: November 15 deadline
Summer admission: April 1 deadline
An online application must be submitted through a GradCAS account
Applications must include:
- an undergraduate transcript from a regionally accredited institution
- a copy of relevant teaching certification (Elementary, TEFL, etc…)
- a résumé indicating your teaching experiences
- a minimum of two letters of recommendation, including one from personnel in a supervisory capacity qualified to comment specifically on professional abilities and strengths (for example, principals, department chairs)
- a personal statement revealing your rationale for applying to the TESOL/BDL program and a focused goal for obtaining an advanced degree
For more information about URI’s Graduate School requirements, click here.
The FIT Fellowship provides scholarships for aspiring French dual language and immersion teachers. Students admitted to URI’s M.A. in TESOL/Bilingual and Dual Language Immersion program (with a focus on French) may be eligible to be nominated for a FIT Fellowship of up to $10,000.