Changes: Landscapes by Ida Schmulowitz

By Ida Schmulowitz, 2014

View From Behind Vartan Gregorian School, 2014

NOVEMBER 17-DECEMBER 22
Changes: Landscapes by Ida Schmulowitz
November 20, Opening Reception, 5-8 pm
December 4, Aritst Talk, 3-4:30 pm

“Here on the bank of the river the motifs multiply, the same subject seen from a different angle offers subject for study of the most powerful interest and so varied that I think I could occupy myself for months without changing place by turning now more to the right, now more to the left.” Paul Cezanne

I have painted landscapes outside from a pedestrian bridge overlooking a highway since 1983. I feel a very strong bond to this particular place (India Point). I’ve felt compelled to record it year after year in all seasons and times of the day. I struggle with trying to combine the structural essence of the place with my internal vision.

Changes in the landscape itself, or shifting my vantage point just slightly, are the catalysts for creating a new series.

Working on a large scale outside has posed interesting problems of transportation. My canvas can be rolled when walking to my spot. On the way back, I lay the wet canvas flat and drag it back flat through the streets to my studio. This contributes somewhat to an imperfect surface that I like to work with, and feel it is part of the process.

Ida Schmulowitz received a BFA Degree from RISD in 1974. She has exhibited locally and nationally, including solo shows in RI at the Newport Art Museum, Bannister Gallery at RIC, Hunt Cavanagh Gallery at PC, Atrium Gallery at the State Administration Building, and The Warwick Art Museum. A solo show at the Hoxie Gallery in Westerly was reviewed in the March/April 2014 Art New England.