Current and former program directors have shared that the experience directing a faculty-led program is incredibly fulfilling and many continue to direct programs year after year. Coordinating a program is also a great deal of work and a significant amount of responsibilty. The OIE is here to support you in this endeavor and provide guidance for your preparation and implementation of a successful program.
Role and Responsibilities of the Program Director
A minimum of two faculty or staff members will be required for all faculty-led programs. For programs with one director, a program assistant will be required to serve as a second person off-site that will assist with emergencies and logistics. The program director leads the academic aspects of the program, coordinates on-site program logistics, and provides student support throughout the program. In addition to the standard duties of teaching a course at URI, the responsibilities of the program director include:
- Submitting a Faculty-Led Program proposal which includes in-depth program details, budget, emergency information and approval from the academic dean and department chair.
- Actively participating in program promotion and recruitment.
- Reviewing applications and selecting participants.
- Attending mandatory new director orientation and other required training by the Office of International Education.
- Leading a mandatory pre-departure orientation meeting and in-class meetings prior to departure, if necessary.
- While abroad, serving as the primary point of contact for students in need of academic, cultural, and/or personal guidance, both on a scheduled and emergency basis.
- Meeting with the Office of International Education upon completion of your program to reconcile finances.
Workshops and Resources
Throughout your tenure as a faculty-led program director, there will be required and optional workshops for you to attend to ensure you are fully prepared and up-to-date on changes to URI and U.S. policies and procedures. If you are unavailable to attend a required workshop at a time listed below, please email Kelly Watts, firstname.lastname@example.org.
New Director Orientation (required for New directors prior to submitting a proposal)
- Friday, September 17, 2021 2pm – 4pm, via Zoom – Registration Required
- Friday, October 15, 2021, 2pm – 4pm, via Zoom – Registration Required
- Friday, November 19, 2021, 2pm – 4pm, via Zoom – Registration Required
Emergency Preparedness and Response Seminar for New Program Directors
- Thursday, October 21, 2021, 2pm – 4pm, via Zoom – Registration Requested
- Friday, October 22, 2021, 2pm – 4pm, via Zoom – Registration Requested
Emergency Preparedness and Response Seminar for Returning Program Directors
- Thursday, October 28, 2021, 2pm – 4pm, via Zoom – Registration Requested
- Friday, October 29 2021, 2pm – 4pm, via Zoom – Registration – Requested
Literature on Faculty-Led Programs
As faculty-led programs continue to grow, so does its presence in the literature of education abroad. Below are articles that may provide insight or inspiration as you design your program :
- Program Design
- Beyond reflection through an academic lens: Refraction and International Experiential Education
- Program design and the development of students’ global perspectives in faculty-led short-term study abroad
- Learn by Going – Critical Issues for FLP
- Short-Term, Faculty-Led Study Abroad Program in Japan
- Student Learning Objectives_ What Instructors Emphasize in Short-Term Study Abroad
- What Are We Teaching Abroad_ Faculty Goals for Short-Term Study Abroad Courses
- Intercultural Competence
- Diversity Competence within Faculty Led Study Abroad Program
- Faculty Engagement in Cultural Mentoring as Instructors of Short-Term and Semester Study Abroad Programs
- Fostering Global Competence through Short-Term Study Abroad
- Intercultural Competence in Short-Term Study Abroad
- Short-Term Faculty-Led Study Abroad Programs Enhance Cultural Exchange and Self-Awareness
Office of International Education and National Student Exchange
Monday – Friday, 8:30am – 4:30pm EST
37 Lower College Road, Kingston, RI, 02881
To schedule an appointment, log into Starfish, search for International Education and National Student Exchange and select the advisor based on your college.