Online Education

A Division of the Office for the Advancement of Teaching & Learning

Student Complaint Procedures

Complaint Regarding an Individual(s)

Are you a student with a grievance about a URI faculty member, administrator, staff member, or student?

If you have had a problem with or feel you have been dealt with unfairly by a faculty member, administrator, staff member, or student, there are a series of steps you should take.

For example, in the case of a contested grade, you would:

  1. First, speak to the instructor of the course.
  2.  If that is not effective, speak to the department chair.
  3.  If neither of the above resolve the issue, speak to the dean of the college in which the course is offered.

For further information regarding student grievance procedures, please refer to the URI Student Handbook (pp. 88-89).

If you find it difficult to undertake this appeal process, you may want to enlist the services of the Office of the Ombud (see below).

Office of the Ombud

The Ombud’s Office serves as a confidential resource for all members of the URI community. It offers a place for you to receive impartial attention without fearing a loss of privacy. A preliminary talk with an Ombud may result in an alternative course of appeal.

If you are unsure about where to go or who to talk to, please send an email to one of the following Ombuds:

Complaints about URI Programs

Please refer to the Council on Postsecondary Education: Student Complaint Procedure for details on how to submit complaints regarding programs offered at URI. The complaints could include (taken from the Council on Postsecondary Education):

  • Allegations of state consumer protection violations, including, but not limited to fraud and false advertising;
  • Allegations that state laws or rules addressing the licensure of postsecondary institutions have been violated; and
  • Allegations regarding the quality of education or other accreditation requirements
Think Big We Do

Copyright © 2018 University of Rhode Island.