Picture of David Cox with article David Coxtitle

We know what we think of URI’s new head men’s basketball coach, the former school principal who served as associate head coach here for four years before taking over the program in April. But what do his friends say about him?

By Shane Donaldson

“Hey man, let’s touch base tomorrow. I want to talk with you about Dave. I’m traveling right now, but I want to be a part of this. I have much love and respect for that man.”

The voice in the message belonged to Mike Tomlin, the Super Bowl winning head coach of the Pittsburgh Steelers.

One of the most respected men in the NFL, Tomlin was eager to be a part of Rhode Island’s big announcement of David Cox as the University’s 20th men’s basketball coach. At a time when every-one in the NFL was hunkered down and preparing for the league’s draft, Tomlin was making time for his former classmate.

When it beat Oklahoma in the opening round of the NCAA Championship, Rhode Island

The Big Win

When it beat Oklahoma in the opening round of the NCAA Championship, Rhode Island’s men’s basketball team advanced to the Round of 32 for the second straight season. Former Head Coach Dan Hurley and the Rams won 91 games over the last four seasons, the most ever for URI in a four-year span. The team also won its first Atlantic 10 regular season title and set a program record for most Atlantic 10 victories in a season with 15.

The evening after leaving his initial voicemail, Tomlin called again. After spending more than 12 hours in the Steelers’ war room going over draft prospects, he called to give us the lowdown on his close friend from their days as student-athletes at the College of William & Mary in Virginia.

The two men were Kappa Alpha Psi fraternity brothers. Both studied sociology and education, showing an appreciation for teaching and thoughtful leadership that boded well for their later coaching careers.

“When I got there, Mike took me under his wing,” Cox says. “He was older than me, and I saw the way he interacted with the other men in our fraternity. He showed me what it meant to be a leader.”

Tomlin saw similar traits in his younger classmate: “It was cool to have front row seats in the student section for his games,” Tomlin counters. “He was the smallest in stature as the point guard, but it was evident that he was the leader and floor general, an extension of the coaching staff. I think about the way he was as a student-athlete, and it does not surprise me that he has earned this opportunity. As a frat brother and friend, it makes me proud to see him achieve this dream.”

Tomlin has enjoyed meteoric success. In 2009, at age 36, he became the youngest coach in NFL history to win a Super Bowl when the Steelers beat Arizona in Super Bowl XLIII.

Cox’s coaching journey took a longer route. He worked for years as an educator in Washington, D.C., serving as the assistant principal at St. John’s College High School. When he made the leap into college basketball 12 years ago, he spent time at Pittsburgh, Rutgers and Georgetown before coming to Rhode Island under Dan Hurley.

“I’ve learned a lot in each stage,” Cox said. “The joy that I receive from both winning on the court and impacting a young man’s life is incredible. The ups and downs on the court parallel life and give great life lessons.”

Coaches and educators have a lot in common, Tomlin says: “Teaching is such an important element of coaching. You can’t connect with your players without the ability to establish personal relations, which is something Dave has always excelled at. He has walked the walk of his players. He used basketball to earn an education, and he understands the importance of the opportunity presented to these young men.”

Tomlin and Cox share some milestones, also. Tomlin is the first African-American head coach in Pittsburgh’s franchise history. Cox is the third African-American head coach in Rhode Island’s history, joining Claude English (1980-84) and Al Skinner (1988-97), who also both served as assistants before earning the head coach job. They’re both part of a trend in which men of color are getting the opportunity to lead programs. According to basketball writer Adam Zagoria, Cox is one of 21 coaches of color to be hired by Division I programs this season. As of April 15, that number accounted for 45 percent of the 47 total DI openings in men’s basketball, a significant increase from the previous two years. •

Who Else Wants to Chime In About Cox?

The love fest continues.

Dan Hurley, Head Coach, UConn:

“Dave has been a big part of the success we had at Rhode Island from the day he arrived. He’s earned every opportunity that has come his way in coaching, especially this one. I am excited to watch the program continue to grow under his leadership.”

Troy Weaver, Assistant General Manager, Oklahoma City Thunder:

“David is a great friend. We are from the same neighborhood, and he is someone who is admired by everyone who knows him because of his work ethic and because of who he is as a person. He is a caring man. And he’s put in the time and work to get here—there was never any golden parachute for him. He has earned it every step of the way.”

Jamie Dixon, Head Coach, Texas Tech:

“At Pittsburgh, it was obvious that Dave had the character, work ethic and intelligence to be a great success in college coaching. All he needed was an opportunity and time to be a great Division I head coach.”

Bro. Thomas Gerrow, President, La Salle Academy:

“I was president of St. John’s College High School in Washington, D.C., Cox’s alma mater, where he served as assistant principal. His ability to gain the confidence and respect of everyone he encountered was truly amazing.”