GI Bill® Certification

If you are intending on using GI Bill® Educational Benefits at URI and you do not know where to start, this guide is for you!

Campus Highlight: Center for Biotechnology and Life Sciences
If this is your first semester at URI
…Welcome! We have developed a step by step guide for you. Click on the Newly Admitted Students Page below!

Dismiss message


Starting in the 2021-2022 school year, Post-9/11 GI Bill® students who receive Monthly Housing Allowance (MHA) and/or kicker payments are required to verify their enrollment to continue receiving their payments. Please see the information on the VA’s website at the link below.

MHA Enrollment Verification Website Information


*For Student Veterans using Chapter 31 or VR&E, you will be automatically certified after the first semester. Please email the certifying official at if you have any questions or have any updates to include the bullets located in the yellow box at the bottom of this page. 

If you have not done so already…

Apply for VA Educational Benefits

Students applying for VA Educational Benefits can follow the link above and apply to receive a certificate of eligibility (COE) or for Montgomery GI Bill® Selected Reserve 1606 beneficiaries, a Notice of Basic Eligibility (NOBE). (Allow 6 weeks to receive COE) 

Commonly asked questions:

When does URI certify for enrollment? How will I know that URI has certified my enrollment?

Once we receive your Student Verification Worksheet, URI’s VA certifying officials will start certifying BAH for each semester on the following dates. (Please submit forms as soon as possible in order to be certified on-time)

  • Fall semester – beginning the early August
  • Spring semester – beginning the end of December
  • Summer Session – beginning the middle of May

After the Add/Drop period of each semester, we will submit the tuition and fees that are reportable to the VA.

You will also receive an electronic automated email from the VA ONCE software used to submit enrollment certifications. 

How will the tuition payments work? Will I need to pay anything upfront? What happens if the VA payments are delayed?

For the Post-9/11 GI Bill®, the Department of Veterans Affairs will process payments directly to URI. You will need to ensure that all documentation is in place so that URI receives payments on your behalf. In the event you learn that you are not entitled to VA payments, you will be responsible for paying any outstanding charges to the University. For all other VA educational benefits programs, you will receive funds directly from the VA and you will be responsible for submitting all payments you owe to URI.

As with other scholarships, you should anticipate the amount you will receive from the VA and pay only the remaining balance on your student account. You should not pay upfront the amount that you expect to receive from the VA. We will ensure that you are not assessed a late fee, provided that you request the use of your benefits prior to the tuition deadline for this outstanding balance while VA payment is pending.

When can I expect to receive the books and supplies stipend and my BAH housing allowance?

You will not begin to receive these benefits until URI has certified your enrollment. The VA always makes BAH payments starting the first week of the month following the month of enrollment. Please note that there may be a delay between URI’s certification of your enrollment and the VA’s processing and distribution of your payments. Please ensure that you are prepared to cover your living expenses in the event of a lengthy delay in VA payments.

Will I be charged late fees due to an outstanding balance prior to my VA payment?

Late fees are automatically assessed at specific points each semester. If a late fee is assessed strictly due to a late VA payment, that late fee will be removed. You are responsible for any outstanding balance after the VA payment to the school. Any questions regarding billing or late fees should be directed to the School Certifying Officials at

For more commonly asked questions, please see the FAQ section by clicking HERE!

Dismiss message

Notify the Certifying Office when the following occurs...

• Change from non-matriculated status
• Change of majors
• Change to/from double majors
• Prior approval for off-campus studies
• When you receive an Incomplete, NR or NW grade
• When an incomplete, NW, NR grade is completed
• Drop under full time, if certified full time*
• Drop under part time, if certified part time*
• Leave of Absence
• Withdrawal
• Dismissal

URI School Certifying Official:

Nancy Pendergast: