MGIB-SR 1606-Guard and Reserves

Chapter 1606: Montgomery GI Bill® Selected Reserve Benefit (MGIB-SR)

Montgomery GI Bill® Selected Reserve 1606 beneficiaries: The first step towards receiving your GI Bill® Selected Reserve benefits is to apply for a “Notice of Basic Eligibility”, or NOBE (DD Form 2384-1) through your unit. If your application is approved, your unit’s Education Office will send you the NOBE. 

You can get education benefits under this program if you meet the requirements listed below:

One of these must be true. You:

  • Have a 6-year service obligation (you agreed to serve 6 years) in the Selected Reserve, or
  • Are an officer in the Selected Reserve and you agreed to serve 6 years in addition to your initial service obligation

Note: Your obligation must have started after June 30, 1985, or for some types of training after September 30, 1990.

And all of these must also be true. You:

  • Complete your initial active duty for training (IADT), and
  • Get a high school diploma or certificate of equal value, like a High School Equivalency Diploma or GED, before finishing IADT (Note: You can’t use 12 hours toward a college degree to meet this requirement), and
  • Stay in good standing while serving in an active Selected Reserve unit 
    (Note: You’ll still be eligible if you’re discharged from Selected Reserve service due to a disability that was not caused by misconduct)
Dismiss message

Verifying Enrollment Each Month

Chapter 1606: You’ll need to verify your enrollment at the end of each month to keep receiving payments.

You can verify your enrollment online through the VA’s Web Automated Verification system (called “WAVE”) or by phone by calling 877-823-2378.
Verify your enrollment online HERE

Did you receive a GI Bill® Kicker? 

The GI Bill® Kicker- is offered by the DoD through each service branch as part of an enlistment or reenlistment contract, or for other reasons they determine. The GI Bill® Kicker is an additional amount of money that increases an individual’s basic monthly benefit and is included in his or her monthly GI Bill® payment from the VA.

Each service branch (and not VA) determines who receives the College Fund and the amount received.

You can’t get your GI Bill® Kicker money without receiving the GI Bill®. The kicker isn’t a separate benefit, but an add-on to your GI Bill® benefit.

Ensure you verify your enrollment EVERY month online through the VA’s Web Automated Verification system (called “WAVE”) or by phone by calling 877-823-2378. Verify your enrollment online