The Academic Testing Center (ATC) administers paper-based assessments in a supervised location on behalf of University faculty for students who need make-up exams and/or those with a Letter of Accommodation through Disability Services.
It is the responsibility of faculty to determine if a student has a University approved absence, according to Chapter 8 of the University Manual, and/or if they have a Letter of Accommodation from URI’s Disability Services. Students should provide faculty with documentation directly, not bring it to the ATC. It is the ATC’s role to administer exams, not determine eligibility.
Faculty, review the below information before submitting a request to the ATC.
First time user? Click here to create an account.
Allow up to 1 business day for the ATC to configure your account. You will receive an email when this is complete. If you try to submit a request before we configure your account, Section 2 will be blank and you’ll get an error upon submission.
With this account, you can log in anytime to submit new requests, view your current and past exam submissions, upload exams, view which students have scheduled or completed their exams, and more!Have an account? Click here to submit a request for testing at the ATC.
Allow up to 1 business day for your exam request to be confirmed by the ATC before students can schedule it.
You will need to provide names of any students who will be testing at the ATC and upload your exam (PDF preferred). You can submit these at the time of your request or log in at a later date to do so.
Note: Students must schedule online at least 24 hours in advance of their testing appointment time. Please consider this in terms of when you complete the request submission.
Once you’ve submitted your request, tell students they can schedule their exam soon (they will NOT be contacted by the ATC). See next section for text you can email students.
Once you’ve submitted your request, tell students they can schedule their exam soon (they will NOT be contacted by the ATC).
Note: this system does not email students to notify them to schedule the exam like the previous system in Spring 2017. Once you have submitted, you must notify students that they can schedule.
For your convenience, here’s text you can copy into an email to students:
I have submitted a request for you to take your exam at the Academic Testing Center. It will be available for you to schedule within one business day. Visit uri.edu/atc/students to see the testing center policies and to schedule your exam (click the blue Schedule Now button). Online registration is only available up to 24 hours in advance of your testing appointment and space is first-come, first-served, so be sure to schedule early. If you need to schedule an appointment within 24 hours of testing, contact the testing center for assistance.
Monday 10am – 6:50pm
Tuesday 9am – 3:50pm
Wednesday 9am – 3:50pm
Thursday 10am – 6:50pm
Friday 9am – 11:50am and 1pm – 2:50pm
- Testing sessions begin on the hour, every hour, during testing hours.
- Final session of the day is only 50 minutes long.
- Students taking exams longer than 1 hour can remain in their seats and continue working into the next session.
- Students are able to schedule their exam via the online system. Direct them to the Student tab to access it.
We will run extended hours during Final exams. The schedule for that will be posted by early November.
The ATC takes exam security very seriously and exercises every reasonable measure to protect the exams you submit, both electronically and physically.
Faculty upload exams through the RegisterBlast system, which maintains high levels of security over information. The system has been thoroughly vetted through the University IT department.
The only people with access to your exams are ATC staff (no students are employed at the ATC). Once printed, the exams are held in a secure location in the ATC offices. They remain in a locked location until the time they are distributed to students during testing sessions.
Once exams are completed, they are immediately sealed in an envelope with tamper evident tape and placed back in a secure location until the time they are picked up by faculty (or a designee). ATC staff checks a photo ID of each person picking up a completed exam, every time they come for this purpose.
We cannot guarantee students using the ATC for extended time/low distraction will be able to schedule their exam at the exact same time you give the exam to the rest of your class. When you submit your exam request, you are asked to give a date range when the student can schedule, so you do have control over the general test taking timeframe.
- Students are required to provide a valid photo ID upon check-in. URI IDs, driver’s licenses, and passports are all accepted. It is helpful to arrive 10 minutes before exam time to allow for the check-in process.
- All personal belongings must be left outside the test room. This includes, but is not limited to:
- Backpacks and purses
- All food and drink including water bottles
- Pens and pencils (the ATC provides writing instruments)
- Electronic devices including cell phones, fitbits, smart watches/glasses. Devices must be turned off.
There are coat hooks, but no lockers or cubbies. It is strongly advised that students bring nothing to the testing center aside from URI photo ID and any permitted testing materials.
- Instructors specify permitted testing materials in their exam submission form to the ATC. Only materials included on that list are permitted.
- Students arriving after the testing session start time may be asked to reschedule. This is at the discretion of ATC staff.
- ATC staff may assign students to specific seats in the testing room.
- Restroom breaks are not permitted, unless previously approved.
- Once a testing session has started, students are not permitted to leave the ATC. If a student has to exit the ATC for any reason (including emergencies), the testing session is immediately over and the instructor will be notified. Completion of the test is at the instructor’s discretion.
- ATC staff cannot answer questions about exams. If the instructor has given permission, staff can reach out to the instructor by phone so the student can ask any questions. If the instructor is unable to be reached, staff will make a note on the exam indicating an effort was made to contact the instructor. At the discretion of the ATC staff, time may be added to the student’s testing session to accommodate for this process.
- Interaction with other testers can result in dismissal.
- Camera surveillance is in operation inside the Testing Center.
- Faculty will be immediately informed of a suspected academic integrity violation. See additional section on Academic Integrity.
In cases of suspected breach of academic integrity, the student will be asked to exit the testing room and will not be permitted to complete the exam. All exam materials and any prohibited materials will be returned to the instructor with an incident report.
Faculty will immediately be informed of the situation. Video surveillance footage will be made available to faculty and administrators as necessary and appropriate.
PROCESS FOR USING ACADEMIC TESTING CENTER (ATC)
For a printable graphic of this process, click here.
- Student presents need to faculty
– Make-up for an excused absence, per URI manual
– Disability Services approved accommodation
- Faculty requests & views documentation
– Make-up exams: doctor’s note, athletic excuse form, death certificate, or other approved documentation
– Letter of Accommodation from Disability Services
- Faculty submits online request
– Faculty creates account via link on uri.edu/ATC/faculty (this only has to be done one time)
– Account activated by ATC within 1 business day
– Faculty submits request via link on uri.edu/ATC/faculty
– Exam will be approved for student registration within 1 business day
– Faculty tell students to schedule with ATC.
– Through account, faculty can view submission, upload exam, see students who are scheduled, and more.
- Student schedules testing session
– Schedule online via link on uri.edu/ATC/students.
– Scheduling is on a first-come, first-served basis.
– Must schedule online at least 24 hours in advance of testing appointment time. If within 24 hours, contact ATC for assistance.
– If there is no available testing session during the date range provided by the instructor, the student must immediately contact their instructor to make alternate arrangements.
- Student completes exam at the ATC
– Faculty receives email regarding completion of exam, prompts them to pick up completed student exam at ATC.
- Faculty picks up exam in person
– ATC staff will check photo ID upon pick-up.