Supported by generous private donations from Bank of America and URI Alumnus Michael Fascitelli ’78 and his wife Beth, The Anna Fascitelli Fitness & Wellness Center is one of the newest and most valuable improvements to the University of Rhode Island’s Campus. Originally the award-winning Roger Williams Dining Hall, Fascitelli is the culmination of 7 years of intensive planning and building in order to bring a modernized fitness facility for students, faculty, and staff. The objective of the center is to promote the health and well-being of its patrons through diverse program opportunities and an extensive array of state-of-the-art fitness equipment. Strategically being built in the heart of campus, Fascitelli has become a focal point because of the ease of access to academic, residential, and auxiliary facilities. Individuals who are visiting The University of Rhode Island are encouraged to make a stop in the facility to see everything that Fascitelli has to offer in terms of high-quality recreation and fitness opportunities. Feel free to ask for a Building Manager to take you on a tour!
Fit, Fabulous, Fascitelli: 2013-2014 QuadAngles article on the new Anna Fascitelli Fitness & Wellness Center
The Anna Fascitelli Fitness and Wellness Center will feature the latest technology and have the capability of offering unique interactive fitness equipment and other facility amenities to enhance the user’s experience. Here is a list of some of the features:
- Cardio Theater© which allows for patrons to plug in headphones and listen to individually selected audiovisual entertainment chosen from 7 suspended TV’s that broadcast a variety of cable channels
- Equipment featuring embedded Personal Viewing Screens with integrated keyboard controls so patrons can experience full “virtual” reality programs that will keep them entertained and motivated while exercising
- High performance fitness AV equipment and speakers located in all three studios
- Cardio equipment that are connected via Internet and has interface compatibility with Apple/Android Smartphone, iPod / iPad, and personal MP3 players
- Wi-Fi Internet access throughout the facility
- Digital informational display sign featuring FourWinds
- Main “house” sound system with Sirius and public address system capabilities
- Security cameras, door management alarm system, and controlled card access door entry system into certain activity area
- Access controlled turnstile and swing gate at the Welcome Center
- High efficiency HVAC heating and air conditioning systems
Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) Compliant
The new center is ADA compliant and fully accessible creating a welcoming environment for everyone. Notable features include:
- Handicap parking adjacent to the facility
- Ground floor entry doors equipped with electric door openers
- Wheelchair access to both upper to lower levels via an elevator
- ADA resistance equipment and functional training areas
- Wheelchair accessible lavatories & showers facilities with recessed work surfaces
- Braille signs for visually impaired indicating rooms
Campus Recreation encourages and supports participation of individuals of all abilities in all programs and services.
The Anna Fascitelli Fitness & Wellness Center is designed to meet or exceed LEED© “Silver” standards and reinforces the pledge made by the University to make sustainability one of the guiding initiatives at URI. Leadership in Energy & Environmental Design LEED©, a nationally accepted benchmark for design, construction and operation of high performance green buildings, promotes the practices and principles of sustainability. Providing measurements for success, LEED© evaluates sustainable site development, water savings, energy efficiency, materials selection and indoor environmental quality. Reusable green materials used in the design of this facility includes: recycled materials collected during building demolition, bamboo wood flooring; recycled rubber floor; hydration stations; reused exterior brick from the existing building, power regeneration “green” elevator, usage of natural light; self-propelled battery operated cardio equipment; reused boulders from the Hillside Residential Dorm project to be incorporated into the landscaping; a water filtration system to disperse water back into the ground, high efficiency mechanical HVAC systems for heating and cooling and during the initial building demolition certain materials were collected to be re-cycled.
At the Anna Fascitelli Fitness & Wellness Center, you may gain request access to the gender neutral shower room by submitted the above form. Once submitted, you will be notified when your I.D. has been activated.