The Mackal Field House is a facility sponsored by the generous gift of $500,000 from the late Henry H. Mackal in 1975 and made feasible by a $5.4 million state bond referendum (1986), a $200,000 contribution from Fleet Bank and University capital funds, meets many long-standing needs of the URI Sports Community. The completion of the $8 million Mackal facility in 1991 marked the culmination of a project over ten years in the making.
The Field House, which opened in 1991, features a six-lane, 200-meter indoor track, including eight lanes on the straightaways, fitness center, weight room and four basketball courts.The facility annually hosts the Atlantic 10 Conference Men’s and Women’s Indoor Track & Field Championships.
Mackal Field House Hosts
- 6-lane, 200 meter indoor running track (8 laps = 1 mile).
- Multi-purpose courts for basketball, group exercise classes and special events.
- During Open Recreation, one court will be designated for recognized groups to reserve for activity space.
- The Fitness Center is outfitted with Cybex variable resistance machines: Treadmills; ellipticals; recumbent bikes, full circuit training machines, free weights ranging from 5 – 50 lbs. and a large selection of free weights and benches.
- Rec Service Center (Equipment Check-out, Membership Service, Program Registration & Lock, Locker Rental).
- Recreational Services Administrative offices.
- Men’s & Women’s locker rooms supporting Mackal.