OLLI Wednesday Walkers
August 3, 2016
Fort Adams State Park, Newport
The OLLI Walkers will be visiting Fort Adams in Newport on Wednesday, Aug. 5th. Bring your binoculars and camera so that you may enjoy another one of the most beautiful vistas along our Rhode Island coastline. Situated at the mouth of the Newport Harbor, Fort Adams State Park offers an exceptional panoramic view of both Newport Harbor and the East Passage of Narragansett Bay. The park offers a wide range of activities including salt water bathing, fishing, boating, soccer, rugby, and picnicking. Fort Adams is perhaps best known for its annual summer concerts when the Jazz Festival and the Folk Festival draw thousands to enjoy the music and beautiful surroundings.
Our group will meet at the entrance to the gift shop. Plenty of parking available. Again, bug spray, water bottle, sunscreen, and a walking stick are recommended.
The walks began promptly at 1:00pm. This walk is approximately 2.5 miles and expected to last the full hour. Flat, easy terrain, wide trails. No pre-registration is required.
In case of inclement weather, walks will be cancelled by 11:00am the morning of the walk. To check the walk status, call the OLLI office at 874-4197.
- From URI
- Continue east on 138, past. At the intersection with Route 1 turn left onto Rt 1 north.
- After approximately 5miles take the exit for Rt.138 east to Newport and Jamestown.
- Take 138e across two bridges (toll road).
- Take the first exit after the Newport Pell Bridge to downtown Newport. At the bottom of the off ramp, turn right onto Farewell Ave.
- Continue past the cemeteries and bear right onto America’s Cup Ave.
- Follow America’s Cup Ave. past the downtown Visitors Center, taking a right onto Lower Thames Street at the 3rd light.
- Continue south on Thames Street, when you see the Shell Gas station on the left, turn right onto Wellington Ave.
- Continue along Wellington Ave., past the Ida Lewis Yacht Club (you can see the Fort across the harbor), until you come to the stop at the intersection with Harrison Ave.
- Turn right onto Harrison Ave, then right again at your next stop to remain on Harrison Ave. The entrance to Fort Adams State Park will be on your right. From the park entrance, follow the signs to the Fort.
Volunteer OLLI Coordinators
Joanne Smardin- 401-783-1272 & Cindy Opaluch – 401-932-8880