The URI Tennis Complex underwent major renovations in 2011, 2013, and in 2023. The complex is composed of eight courts, four outdoor hard courts for recreation tennis and four courts for Varsity Tennis Courts (north side of Complex) that are not available for open/drop-in recreational play. All recreation courts are on a first come first serve basis. Two of our courts are set up with Pickleball (8) that are available on a first come first serve basis.
- Courts are available Monday through Sunday, from sun up to sun down.
- Closed: 2:00pm-6:00pm; Mon-Fri.
- Scheduled activities by the URI Department of Athletics and the Department of Campus Recreation have priority for this space. Courts will not be available during scheduled events.
- All permitted recreation activity on the courts share equal priority.
- Bicycles, skateboards, roller skates, roller blades, etc. are prohibited on these courts.
- Sitting or leaning on the nets is prohibited.
- Non-alcoholic beverages only in spill-proof, break-resistant, resealable containers are allowed.
- Proper Attire Required * No black soled shoes allowed.
- No climbing on fence.
- Placing tape, paint, chalk, or anything other outside material on courts is prohibited.
- Players are responsible for the proper disposal of all trash.
- Respect all other users of the court by not walking through games and/or playing music from external speakers (including phones).
- Campus Recreation facilities may not be used for private or commercial gain/purposes, such as: training, coaching, or teaching private instruction, without the written consent from the department. Unscheduled and unapproved groups who commandeer the courts may be asked to leave or banned form using the space in the future.
- Equipment may not be removed from the complex without authorization from the Department of Campus Recreation or Department Athletics.
- Pickleball nets may be placed along inside of fence if court is needed for open recreation tennis.
- Note: There are no public restrooms or water fountains available at this location.
Tennis Policies and Rules
- Best of three matches or 1 hour of play is required during times patrons are waiting for a court.
Pickleball Policies and Rules
- Best two out of three games or 1 hour of play during times patrons are waiting for a court.
- Paddles and balls can be checked out by members at the Mackal Field House Customer Service Center.