Into the Woods: Using Augmented Reality and Science Communication to tell the Story of the North Woods
Three MESM students have been working on an augmented reality project with the DWELL Lab focused on the North Woods
Determined to Dig Deep: Braden Fleming’s Journey to Soil Judging Champion
CELS alum Braden Fleming aimed high by studying the earth beneath his feet, leading him to a first-place finish in the individual division of the National Collegiate Soil Judging Competition.
Elizabeth Mendenhall’s Passion for International Ocean Policy Spurs Change
Assistant Professor Elizabeth Mendenhall carved out a career where the law meets the ocean. Her research focuses on the drivers and mechanisms of change in the Law of Sea Convention, which is basically a constitution for the oceans.
- North Kingstown Food Pantry manager learns skills from URI’s Food Recovery for Rhode Island program November 14, 2023 - Pantry operations director Stephen Souls helps distribute up to 1,500 pounds of produce each week with the North Kingstown Food Pantry.
- Applications due Oct. 27 for year two of Agriculture and Food Systems Fellows Program October 23, 2023 - The new fellowship builds on URI’s history as an “agricultural school” with new pathways in the field of food for students from diverse majors.
- URI appoints journalist Warner to lead Metcalf Institute October 19, 2023 - Fara Warner, a veteran journalist experienced in climate communication and editorial leadership, has been named executive director at the Metcalf Institute at the University of Rhode Island.
- URI researcher awarded $2.5 million grant to study community impacts of offshore wind development October 19, 2023 - Researchers at the University of Rhode Island have been awarded a $2.5 million U.S. Department of Energy grant to develop social impact markers that will help them and local communities measure the effects of offshore wind energy development.
- History, archaeology of URI’s Kingston Campus to be next talk in South Kingstown’s 300th Anniversary Speaker Series October 10, 2023 - On Thursday, Oct. 12, three University of Rhode Island professors will explore some of the 5,000-year history of the Kingston Campus area in a talk titled “History and Archaeology of the URI Campus Landscape.”
- Grants give all undergraduates the chance to do independent research October 5, 2023 - The URI Undergraduate Project Grant program awards about 100 grants each academic year providing funding not only for STEM and engineering research projects but also to those in the humanities, arts and music.
- University of Rhode Island and The Organic Center to partner on major OREI food safety research grant October 5, 2023 - URI and The Organic Center are pleased to announce a new collaboration on an important new organic food safety research project, enabled by a $3.5 million grant recently awarded through the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Organic Agriculture Research and Extension Initiative (OREI) research program.
- More than 300 attend URI’s first Sea Services Symposium October 3, 2023 - Students meet with military, University, business and non-profit representatives about maritime careers and educational opportunities.