Summer 2017 Class Acts

’46

Janet W. Rusk and John E. Rusk ’48 of Pittsfield, Mass., celebrated 70 years of marriage.

’48

William F. Cowen of Green Valley, Ariz., writes: “My life’s work in forestry and university teaching is a result of the education I received at URI…and I am proud of it. My years at URI were magical.”

’51

Alec Voight of Milford, Conn., writes: “The river of life keeps flowing and so fast. In 1946 I was a member of the first wave of veterans to attend URI. I met my life’s partner, the late Pat Joslin ’54, and made many friendships that lasted a lifetime. Being a member of the fraternity of Sigma Chi helped me cement friendships outside of college and assisted me throughout my career in engineering. I am grateful for continued good health and mobility. I am still painting my life’s portrait and thank God I am not out of paint yet. I achieved celebrating my 93rd birthday this summer. I am on the go every day and enjoy social activities and swimming. All these events have captured a lifetime of memories and allow me to meet new friends along the way. I am very proud to be part of the legacy of URI and to be able to reflect back on what it has done to assist me in achieving my life’s goals.”

’69

Brian Mitchell of West Kingston, R.I., is retiring as managing director of the Kingston Chamber Music Festival after this summer’s 29th annual festival (July 19-30, 2017). “It was somewhat serendipitous that, as my journalism career was winding down, I was doing more and more work for the festival until I was named its first managing director in 2001. I was very fortunate to be able to work in two different fields, both of which I was passionate about.” Founded in 1989 by violinist David Kim (honorary doctorate ‘01), the festival has grown into one of the most prestigious music festivals of its kind in the country. (See photo at left)

’72

Dr. Leonard Greenhalgh, M.B.A., of Spruce Head, Maine, was awarded Dartmouth College’s Martin Luther King Social Justice Award for Lifetime Achievement (he is professor of management in the Tuck School of Business and director of the school’s programs for minorities, women, and Native Americans). He is also the recipient of the State of Maine’s Lifetime Achievement Award for Environmental Excellence, for his work in restoring coastal wetlands.

Douglas J. Wood recently released Presidential Conclusions, the third novel in his political thriller series about a woman who runs and wins the presidential election in 2020 (the first two books are Presidential Intentions and Presidential Declarations).

Judy Nazemetz of Valley Village, Calif., writes of a recent movie role that unexpectedly had her working with fellow alums: “Ashton Avila ’13 needed someone to play Mabel, a cashier at the only gas station open late on the way to Vegas, for her film I Got You Babe, shooting in Los Angeles. She hired, me, a fellow URI grad, who could offer real-world experience—I was a cashier when you had to figure out the change yourself. I Got You Babe premiered April 15 and also features Mariah Scally ’13 in the pivotal Waitress role.”

’75

Mary C. McKay of Mclean, Va., just published a book, Swimming Lessons, a firsthand account of raising children suffering from mental illness. (See image to right)

’77

George S. La Cross of Barrington, R.I., writes: “After a 34-year career at the Providence Journal, mostly as promotion department copywriter, I recently joined the staff of Roger Williams University in Bristol, RI. I also am a volunteer at Rocky Point State Park (Warwick, RI), producing promotional videos and helping staff events there.” (See photo page 36)

’82

Gordon B. Arnold of Westborough, Mass., is the author of Animation and the American Imagination: A Brief History, which was recently published by Praeger/ABC-Clio publishers. Arnold, who is Professor of Liberal Arts at Montserrat College of Art in Beverly, Mass., is also the author of three previous film-related books. (See photo to right)

’91

Judith A. Boss, M.S., of Exeter, R.I., writes “My novel Deception Island (Wild Rose Press), a suspense novel set in Antarctica, has just come out as an audiobook. If you are interested in doing a review, please email me at jbgentoo@aol.com and I will send you a code for a free download.” (See photo page 30)

’92

Christopher C. Giamo of Halesite, N.Y., has been appointed head of regional commercial banking at TD Bank. Based in Cherry Hill, New Jersey, and New York, New York, Giamo has U.S. accountability for small business, middle market and commercial lending; government banking; treasury management services and corporate deposits; and commercial credit management. Giamo joined TD Bank in 1998 as the head of its middle market lending group in New Jersey. Giamo serves on the boards of several organizations, including the Long Island Association, Global Gateway Alliance, Huntington Hospital and TD Private Client Wealth, LLC. He resides in Long Island with his family.

’93

Jennifer C. Clark of Norwalk, Conn., shared a job update: “In February, human resources outsourcing and consulting firm OperationsInc (www.OperationsInc.com) announced the promotion of Westport resident Jennifer Clark to the position of Director, Talent Acquisition Services. Jennifer Clark joined OperationsInc in 2013. Clark has over 22 years of diverse recruiting experience, previously working for executive search firms as well as serving as an in-house recruiting resource for an international law firm. In addition to setting client recruiting and talent strategies, Clark also oversees and manages the OperationsInc Talent Acquisition Division.”

Kimberly Perry of Providence, R.I., writes: “Can’t believe I graduated over 20 years ago. I am enjoying working as a customer experience manager at Michaels Crafts. It is fun helping customers with the projects, and I learn something new every day. I am interested in becoming part of the Tiny House community. Would like to connect with anyone that can help build or buy a tiny house.”

’99

Adam J. Gwaltney of Providence, R.I., shared a January job update: “Nixon Peabody is growing its corporate practice in New England with the arrival of new partner Adam J. Gwaltney. Based in Rhode Island, Adam will split his time between the firm’s Providence and Boston offices. Adam brings a broad range of traditional corporate, public finance, and securities experience to Nixon Peabody. Joining Nixon Peabody from Hinckley Allen’s Providence office, Adam graduated from Boston College Law School and earned his bachelor’s degree from the University of Rhode Island.” (See photo page 36)

’03

Jessica Rhule of Coventry, R.I, writes: “Wanted to share this picture we took of our kids before a basketball game on January 15. We were walking around campus and reminiscing. All of these kids are offspring of parents who met and started dating at URI. We all graduated between the years of 2001 and 2003. We’ve continued to stay in touch and our kids are the best of friends. (See photo page 31)

’07

Michelle Karn of North Smithfield, R.I., wrote in with this update: “After completing nine years with the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association in Providence, I recently accepted a new position at The Beacon Mutual Insurance Company of Warwick, R.I., as the corporate marketing and communications director. I’m thrilled to lead the marketing and communications efforts for this Rhode Island company. And I enjoy reading about my classmates and colleagues!”

’12

Stephanie Fairbanks, M.S. ’16, has joined the Denver office of CTL|Thompson, a full-service geotechnical, structural, environmental and materials engineering firm. The firm says Fairbanks brings experience in foundation design, bridge construction and environmental remediation that will add to CTL’s bench strength on projects in need of cantilever systems, tieback systems, soil nail walls and mechanically stabilized earth walls. Before joining CTL, Fairbanks served as a geotechnical and waterfront project engineer with GZA GeoEnvironmental Inc., in Providence, Rhode Island, where she consulted on geotechnical pre-design investigation programs, subsurface exploration and slope stability analyses on projects in New York, Massachusetts and Rhode Island. She also served as a geotechnical and waterfront engineer at Exeter, Rhode Island-based Fairbanks Engineering Corp., her family’s business. (See photo, page 36)

’13

Chad Conner of Sparta, N.J. got engaged to Alexa Giuliano ’13 of North Smithfield, R.I., on March 1, 2017

Elena K. Krajeski of Western Ukraine writes: “A couple of years ago, after graduating from URI with my bachelors in Environmental and Natural Resource Economics, I was trying to make a decision about what masters program I wanted to apply for. After a year of working, I decided that I wasn’t ready for more academics just yet, but I needed a practical learning experience, so I applied for the Peace Corps. When I found out I was accepted, I thought I would go work on a farm in Africa or South America. Instead I was placed with a local government in a small town in Western Ukraine by the Moldovan/Romanian border. I was surprised because I never thought of Europe as a place in need of foreign assistance. It has been a wonderful experience thus far and I hope to improve upon it until my service ends in December 2017. Please feel free to contact me on LinkedIn with any questions regarding my Peace Corps experience. I would also be happy to hear from prospective volunteers and PC returnees! ! URI.” (See photos page 36)

Tim Viall of Berkley, Mass., writes to tell us that he’s spending more time with fellow alumni than he expected. “I and two other graduates of Regina Bell’s public relations program (all graduating in 2013) have ended up at Boston Medical Center in various roles. I’m a media relations specialist, my colleague Brianne Leahy is a marketing communications specialist, and Amanda Read just joined as an interactive communications web editor. I think it’s a funny coincidence that we all graduated from the same (small) PR program, we all had jobs prior to joining Boston Medical Center, and the hospital itself is as prestigious as any of the other institutions in the city.” (See photo Pg. 31)

Weddings

Eric R. Postemsky ’08 to Kaitlynn M. Postemsky on September 10, 2016

Daniella Duffy to Steven Ricci ’09 on October 8, 2016

Gina Franceschini ’09 to David Ribeiro on December 30, 2016

Gabriella Cortes ’13 to Patrick Brehio on October 15, 2016

Births

Jennifer Langheld Byrne ’99 and Aidan Byrne ’99, a boy, Dylan Aidan, on February 23, 2016

Carrietta (Sepowitz) Gaudio ’02 and Joseph Gaudio, a son, Giovanni Joseph Gaudio, on September 27, 2016 (See photo Pg. 36)

Jonathan Kurowski ’06 and Maria Kurowski ’07, a girl, Gerardina Kurowski, on June 30, 2016 (See photo Pg. 36)

In Memoriam

Matthew T. Marcello Jr ’43 of Middletown, R.I., on March 2, 2017

Armando F. Lusi ’47 of Warwick, R.I., on March 14, 2017

Tudor Jones Jr ’47 of Concord, Calif., on January 16, 2016

Arthur H. Coy ’48 of Glastonbury, Conn., on December 17, 2016

Edmund S. Darling ’49 of Waterford, Conn., on November 2, 2015

Richard G. Phelps ’49 of Maryville, Tenn., on January 1, 2017

Roswell S. Bosworth Jr ’49 of Bristol, R.I., on February 7, 2017

Elizabeth W. Huston ’50 of Kingston, R.I., on January 20, 2017

Nancy W. Sevin ’50 of Cranston, R.I., on June 15, 2016

John F. Leslie ’51 of Waterford, Conn., on January 6, 2017

Marion V. Lucas ’51 of Weston, Mass., on March 4, 2017

Phyllis R. Berry ’51 of East Providence, R.I., on December 17, 2016

John B. Allis ’52 of Laramie, Wyo., on December 19, 2016

Daniel F. Shea ’53 of Wakefield, R.I., on December 13, 2016

Nancy J. King ’53 of East Greenwich, R.I. , on January 21, 2017

William F. Hoss ’53 of Danielson, Conn., on January 27, 2017

Joseph C. Jalbert ’54 of Beaverton, Ore., on January 1, 2017

Patricia A. Zanella ’54, M.A. ’68 of Warwick, R.I., on November 29, 2016

Louis Sugarman ’55 of Providence, R.I., on January 15, 2017

William P. Considine ’55 of Warwick, R.I. ,on February 20, 2017

Jeanne M. Marcoux ’56 of Lincoln, R.I., on January 2, 2017

Kevin W. Smith ’57 of North Port, Fla., on February 24, 2017

William Dumais ‘57 of Groton Long Point, Conn., on September 8, 2016

Salvatora A. Quetta ’57 of Providence, R.I., on February 13, 2017

Everard J. Grain ’58 of Aiken, S.C., on November 17, 2016

Howard M. Lesnick ’62 of Lake Worth, Fla., on January 1, 2017

Edward J. Creamer ’63, M.S ’68 of Barrington, R.I., on December 22, 2016

Robert N. Bailey Jr ’63 of Sanford, Maine, on February 18, 2017

Thurston L. Gray ’63 of Portsmouth, R.I., on February 3, 2017

Peter L. Chamberlain ’64 of Rumford, Maine, on October 31, 2016

Richard G. Pincus ’65 of Manasquan, N.J., on October 8, 2016

Marsha P. Goldberg ’66 of Stockbridge, Mass., on January 1, 2016

Patrick A. Kelly ’66 of Providence, R.I., on February 20, 2017

Robert E. Munroe ’67 of Chesapeake Beach, Md., on January 16, 2017

Robert J. Higgins ’67 of New York City, N.Y., on December 31, 2016

Jacques R. Chamuel ’67 of Brookline, Mass., on November 2, 2016

James H. Erinakes ’67 of Coventry, R.I., on November 17, 2016

Shenshen L. Wu ’67 of Shrewsbury, Mass., on February 4, 2017

Ambrose C. Miller, Jr ’68 of Jupiter, Fla., on February 2, 2017

Robert P. Blessing, M.B.A ’69 of Rumford, R.I., on January 11, 2017

Joseph E. Dwyer ’70 of Cranston, R.I., on January 14, 2017

Norman Alberigo ’70 of Mansfield, Texas, on May 3, 2016

Charles H. Alfred, M.S. ’71 of Warren, R.I., on January 4, 2017

Michael P. Fecher, M.S. ’71 of Uncasville, Conn., on January 18, 2017

Pearl D. Scagos ’71 of Barrington, Mass., on March 17, 2014

William B. Hunter, Ph.D. ’72 of Peterborough, N.H., on December 15, 2016

Howard A. Lasus ’73 of Fairfax, Va., on January 2, 2012

Linda M. Reichler ’73 of Avon, Conn., on August 26, 2016

Robert B. Giles ’73 of Port Charlotte, Fla., on November 30, 2016

Brian F. Hussey ’74 of Narragansett, R.I., on December 17, 2016

Felix H. Maez ’74 of Middletown R.I., on March 25, 2016

Elizabeth S. White ’75 of East Greenwich, R.I., on January 29, 2017

Dr. Domenic A. Coppolino ’76 of Wakefield, R.I., on January 22, 2017

John E. Sewall ’76 of Candy, Ore., on February 21, 2017

Paul A. Cyr ’76 of North Kingstown, R.I., on December 30, 2016

Edward F. Hemingway ’77 of Fort Wayne, Ind., on December 16, 2016

Debra H. Engoron ’78 of Stockbridge Mass., on June 21, 2010

Roberta H. Ryan ’78 of North Berwick, Maine, on January 4, 2017

Robin H. Burrows-Mello ’78 of Wakefield, R.I., on July 23, 2016

Deborah T. Pierik ’79 of Wakefield, R.I., on January 20, 2017

Jane E. Winton ’80 of Warwick, R.I., on March 12, 2017

Dr. Samuel J. Montalto Jr ’82 of Westerly, R.I., on March 4, 2017

Rhonda H. Dvorin ’84 of West Hartford, Conn., on April 20, 2012

James V. Solis ’85 of Westerly, R.I., on January 25, 2017

Nancy M. Martell ’85 of Ashaway, R.I., on February 3, 2017

John K. Setten ’89 of Old Greenwich, Conn., on January 22, 2017

Andrea Luisi ’90 of Cumberland, R.I., on February 26, 2017

Steven C. Post ’90 of Wilmington, N.C., on January 12, 2017

Sylvia Campbell, M.S. ’90 of Santa Rosa, Calif., on January 1, 2017

Robert D. Garrett ’92 of Fort Myers, Fla., on February 12, 2017

David J. Pilkington ’93 of North Kingstown, R.I., on December 10, 2016

Gerald H. Charest ’99 of Westbrook, Conn., on January 14, 2017

Lisa R. Horne ’01 of Warwick, R.I., on February 21, 2017

Brandon J, Gailliard ’13 of Brooklyn, N.Y., on March 9, 2017

Raymond W. Warren ’37, of Kilmarnock, Va., on Feb. 5, 2017

Faculty and Staff In Memoriam

Professor of Education Jules P. Seigel of Englewood, Fla., on February 16, 2017