Winter 2015-2016 Class Notes

’51

Alec Voight of Milford, Conn., writes: “I had my 92nd birthday this July and am very grateful for continued good health. I have to watch my steps but am still active with my love of boating and gardening. I was part of the first wave of veterans to attend University. The school, student body and the frats have changed since we became part of fraternity life (Sigma Chi). I met my life’s partner, Pat Joslin ‘54, and had many wonderful friendships from Sigma Chi that followed me down life’s path to this day. All these events have captured a lifetime of memories that I carry with me to this day. I am very proud to be part of the legacy of URI.”

’55

Stuart C. Fitelson of Seattle, Wash., who is known as Seattle Stu and is a self-described “freak of nature” due to his long-term athletic performances, writes: “Check seattlestu.com. On November 17, 2015, I will be playing four sports in younger leagues.” His website says that he has been playing league baseball, hockey, and basketball on senior championship teams in Seattle for the past 17 years. He is also an active tennis player and track competitor and wins medals in the NW Senior Games.

’64

Colonel Richard Ferro and his wife Cecelia (Amman) Ferro ’66 of Newport, R.I., write: “Now living in Newport, where we plan to stay after years of Air Force and beyond moves here and there. Enjoying many URI events, in particular football and basketball. Recently met several TKE fraternity members for dinner in Narragansett. It’s great to be close enough to recapture so many fond memories.”

Emma Packer Conroy and John Conroy of Memphis, Tenn., recently celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary with a party for around 100 friends and family. John is retired, the couple reports, and they are living in Memphis and enjoying life with their grandchildren.

’67

Bob Perlow of Narragansett, R.I., presented “Tales from Hollywood” at the Courthouse Center for the Arts in South Kingstown. Perlow will discuss his time as a crowd warm-up guy on hit shows such as Married with Children, Taxi, and Two and a Half Men. He also spoke about his 15-year stint as the opening warm-up comic for The Tonight Show with Jay Leno.

’68

President David M. Dooley welcomed ROTC graduates General Leon LaPorte, COL John Petrella, COL Milt McKenna, and COL Bill Babcock at the military appreciation football game on Saturday, September 19, 2015.

’70

Robert Warren Blazer writes: “I wrote a book about discoveries I made about human beings and their relationship to life. It was published in 2014. It is called Our World Market. It is a breakthrough in our understanding of how we are naturally designed to contribute to each other. My company, which I founded 38 years ago, is called Dekalb Farmers Market. It is based in the Atlanta area. It is the highest volume, highest quality, highest rated, multicultural fresh food market in this country. The book has a website, www.ourworldmarket.com. After graduating Mechanical Engineering at URI, I was accepted at the Wharton School for an MBA degree. This is the result of “ thinking big” and not giving up on the dream for life to work for us the way our hearts would have it.

’72

Douglas Schram of Newark, Ohio, writes that after obtaining his doctorate at Kansas City College of Osteopathic Medicine in 1976, he spent 37 years devoted to both emergency medicine and family practice. “I have retired from active practice,” he writes, “and devote many hours to helping those with special needs. Rebecca and I travel frequently to visit the boys; one a family physician, the other a professional athlete. I remain attached to the many fine memories I have as an undergraduate at this fine university!”

’74

Edward Balkovic, Ph.D., of Milford, Mass., has been elected to the Science Advisory Board (SAB) of the Parenteral Drug Association. The SAB is composed of a diverse group of experts drawn from industry, regulatory agencies and academia who provide guidance and set strategic direction for the PDA on technical topics associated with pharmaceutical manufacturing and quality. Ed is a microbiologist at Genzyme, a Sanofi company, and also an adjunct associate professor in URI’s Department of Cell and Molecular Biology. He teaches in the Graduate Program for Clinical Lab Sciences in the areas of clinical microbiology and virology, emerging infectious diseases, bioterrorism, and vaccine development.

’75

Joseph O’Neil of Wayne, Pa., was just elected president of the International Association of Defense Counsel (IADC). The IADC is the preeminent invitation-only global legal organization for attorneys who represent corporate and insurance interests. Founded in 1920, the IADC’s members hail from five continents, 40 countries and all 50 U.S. states. The core purposes of the IADC are to enhance the development of skills, promote professionalism and facilitate camaraderie among its members, their clients, as well as the broader civil justice community. Joseph E. O’Neil is a shareholder in the Litigation Practice Group in the Philadelphia office of Lavin O’Neil Cedrone & DiSipio. He has more than 30 years of courtroom experience as a trial lawyer defending major corporations in complex litigation.

’76

Howard Glassman, M.C.P., of Tallahassee, Fla., joined Gannett Fleming as director of planning services. Glassman brings tremendous experience gained during a dynamic 38-year career in Florida planning.

’80

Christina Allen of Lexington Park, Minn., writes: “I have illustrated children’s books and written one. The first book won the national Indie Award for Excellence in children’s books. The second one that I illustrated just won the gold national Mom’s Choice Book Award! (It is very unusual to win two national awards for my first two books.) I have (very) recently started my own micro-publishing house, Corn Crib Publishing (to gain more control of the finished look). I have successfully published the hardcover version of my first book, A Micro-Chip On My Shoulder, and the e-book of it. I am currently working on illustrating and publishing my third book, A Farmer’s Alphabet, as a softcover, hardcover, and e-book. On another topic, a filmmaker recently made a full-length documentary film about our organic sustainable farm called The Dinner. I know sustainable farming is a big interest for this current generation. My husband says we are so out of fashion, we are back in fashion!”

Martha W. Murphy of Narragansett, R.I., has co-authored The Low-Glycal Diet with Harvard and MIT graduate Jeffrey Dunham, M.D., which will be published by Page Street Books/Macmillan in January 2016. The Low-Glycal Diet app has been downloaded more than 100,000 times.

’81

Jim Farrell of Palm Coast, Fla., writes: “I just published my second novel, The Extraordinary Banana Tree, about the fall of Saigon. The novel is not a war story. It is a love story in the time of war. It is the tale of the developing romance between Cheryl Flynn, assistant chief of intelligence for DAO in Vietnam, and Billy Dobson, manager of flight operations for Air America. The story opens with Cheryl boarding the first flight of Gerry Ford’s Operation Babylift out of Saigon on April 4, 1975. The plane crashed 13 miles south of Saigon. Does Cheryl survive? Does anyone survive?”

’82

Terri Maxwell of New Hope, Pa., is scheduled to present at several leading industry events this fall in Louisiana, Ohio, and California. She is the vice president of clinical education at Enclara Pharmacia and COO of Turn-Key Health. Through her 30 years of health care experience, she has led and contributed to projects to improve end-of-life care through state-supported initiatives and media events.

’86

Michele B. Kaufman, Pharm. D., CGP, is the recipient of the 2015 New York-Presbyterian Hospital Excellence in Pharmacy, Pharmacy Employee Award for Lower Manhattan Hospital. This award recognizes a pharmacist who consistently demonstrates excellence in pharmacy practice and professionalism at work and in the community. It is given to someone who is recognized by their colleagues as someone who fosters team spirit and collaborative working relationships with other disciplines, shares knowledge, and makes a positive difference for patients. She was awarded a plaque by the apothecary-in-chief of the New York-Presbyterian Health System, Karol Wollenberg, during a ceremony and luncheon at Lower Manhattan Hospital on June 31, 2015.

’87

John Flaherty of North Smithfield, R.I., has been promoted to deputy director at Grow Smart R.I. In addition to new duties helping to manage the organization, he will continue to oversee communications, media relations and manage a portfolio of policy research and advocacy related to transportation and urban revitalization.

’89

Gregory Gould, M.B.A ’99, of Cranston, R.I., recently joined Webster Bank’s Specialty Banking Division as vice president, commercial loan officer for SBA Lending. Gould previously worked for the U.S. Small Business Administration.

Sara Hiebner of North Kingstown, R.I., is the vice president of commercial lending for West Warwick based Centreville Bank and has been appointed to the Fort Adams Trust in Newport, R.I., board of directors.

Lois A. Wims, Ph.D., of Worcester, Mass., joined Worcester State University this summer as its new provost and vice president for academic affairs.

’95

Tracy Levine Ballot of Roswell, Ga., has been named director of advancement and external affairs for St. Martin’s Episcopal School in Brookhaven. In her new role, Ballot will be responsible for planning and directing all development, marketing, communications and external affairs efforts in pursuit of the school’s strategic priorities.

’98

Misty Martin was recently named to the Chicago Daily Law Bulletin’s “40 Illinois Attorneys Under 40 to Watch” list, one of 40 selected from more than 1,200 nominations. Martin was selected because of her dedicated involvement with her clients in catastrophic personal injury or bet-the-company products liability cases over more than 10 years in practice. Notably, she was a member of the team that obtained a landmark civil rights settlement of $22.5 million from the City of Chicago, the largest amount paid to a single plaintiff in the city’s history.

’01

Tim Desmond is publishing his first book with W. W. Norton, Self-Compassion in Psychotherapy: Mindfulness-Based Practices for Healing and Transformation. Its Amazon write-up begins: “This lucidly written guide intergrates traditional Buddhist teachings and mindfulness with cutting-edge science from several distinct fields—including neurobiology, cognitive neuroscience, psychotherapy outcome research, and positive psychology to explain how clinicians can help clients develop a more loving, kind, and forgiving attitude through self-compassion.” Desmond is currently living in New Hampshire at a mindfulness retreat center that he co-founded called Morning Sun Mindfulness Center. He works as a therapist and travels around the U.S. lecturing about mindfulness and self-compassion.

’02

Steve Alves, Ph.D., of Brockton, Mass., is a Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist (CRNA) and has been named the 2015 Program Director of the Year by the American Association of Nurse Anesthetists (AANA). Alves is the program administrator for Northeastern University in Boston, Mass.

Michael L. Garcia of Hope Valley, R.I., has been promoted to the position of principal for the accounting firm of Sansiveri, Kimball & Co, L.L.P. Mike has 12 years of audit and accounting experience. He is responsible for the review and implementation of new technology in the audit and accounting area. Mike provides auditing, accounting, and consulting services to the firm’s clients in diverse industries, including manufacturing, distribution, and professional services.

’05

Tim Licitra became the new executive vice president of the Illuminating Engineering Society of North America in October. The Shrewsbury, N.J., resident, who graduated from URI in marketing and went on to get an M.B.A from Rutgers, is now responsible for the overall management of the oldest and largest educational and scientific society in North America devoted to lighting. He comes to the society from Market Technicians Association, Inc., where he served in a variety of capacities for a decade, most recently as executive director and CEO.

’06

Jeffrey Vermillion of Lincoln, R.I., has been promoted to officer of the Global Markets Securities Finance Settlement Operations at State Street Bank in Boston. His duties include the oversight of the offshore cost center, daily reconciliation and implementation of controls on daily processes.

Danielle (Towne) Oaks and husband Nathaniel Oaks are in the middle of their year-long trip around the world. Having traveled through South America, they are currently in eastern Europe and will travel on to Southeast Asia and New Zealand before returning to the states. You can follow their journey at oaksandcompass.com.

’08

Damian Puerini, M.S. ’12, of Cranston, R.I., has earned the Certified Public Accountant designation. Damian is a senior accountant at Sansiveri, Kimball & Co., L.L.P, where he provides audit, accounting, and consulting services to a wide variety of the firm’s clients.

’09

Dmitriy Chernyy of Long Island, N.Y., recently joined law firm Goldberg Segalla in their Garden City, N.Y., office. Dmitriy was previously an associate at McGivney & Kluger in Syracuse. At Goldberg Segalla, Mr. Chernyy’s practice focuses on defending clients in a wide range of liability claims, with a particular emphasis on product liability, medical malpractice, and negligence cases.

’14

Joseph Ryan of Greenville, R.I., writes: “I am an associate adjuster with Amica Mutual Insurance Company, working out of the Westborough, Massachusetts, office.”

WEDDINGS

Stephanie T. Boisvert ’01 to Richard A. Canal, on July 3, 2015.

Jacob Feiner ’07 to Clare Orenstein, on May 30, 2015.

Adam Grossi ’08 to Kayla DiChiro, on October 11, 2014.

Jeffrey Langlois ’08 to Beth-Ann Coletta, on July 26, 2014.

Eli Moger ’10 to Jen Lonardo ‘07, on June 13, 2015.

Kristie Moltz ’10 to Oliver Palmer ’10, on October 4, 2015.

Matthew Palin ’12 to Renee Gendreau on July 25, 2015.

Alexandra Gerand ’13 to Timothy St. Pierre 13, on August 23, 2014.

Arielle Lineberry ’13 to Joseph Santarpio ’13, on July 18, 2015.

Kimberly Manchester ’13 to John C. Massaroco, on April 18, 2015.

BIRTHS

Damian Latimore ’94 and Anais Latimore, a son, George Isaac Latimore, on August 28, 2015.

Trisha Molloy ’03 adopted a son, James Malik Molloy, 2 years old, on September 18, 2015.

Mathew Dias ’04 and Kayla Dias ‘05, a son, Mathew Dias Jr., on October 15, 2014

Matthew D. Cocuzzi ’05 and Ashleigh (Evans) Cocuzzi ’05, a daughter, Charlotte Cocuzzi, on July 29, 2015.

Jonathan Kurowski ’06 and Maria Kurowski ’07, a son, Jackson Kurowski, on January 28, 2015.

Daniel Read ’07 and Rebecca Read ’07, a son, Jackson David Read, on March 20, 2015.

Jennifer R. LaShomb Vogel ’07 and Luke Vogel ’05, a daughter, Hannah Gwendolyn, on May 22, 2015

IN MEMORIAM

Leo X. McCusker ’42 of Providence, R.I., on July 27, 2015.

Barbara A. Ryan ’42 of Barrington, R.I., on July 18, 2015.

Donald S. Campbell ’43 of Stratford, Conn. on July 21, 2015.

Carl H. Beckman ’47 of Wakefield, R.I., on April 15, 2015.

Judith Prunier ’47 of Oxford, Mass., on July 21, 2015.

Leila W. Werner ’47 of Newton, Mass., on September 16, 2015.

Ernest M. Socha ’50 of East Providence R.I., on August 6, 2015.

Edward J. Hole ’52 of Middletown, R.I., on August 25, 2015.

Robert C. Hackett ’53 of Brookfield, N.H., on September 13, 2015.

Bradford H. Chapman ’55 of Crofton, M.d, on July 10, 2015.

Gordon B. Fiddes ’56 of Pittsfield, Mass., on August 3, 2015.

William A. Smith ’56 of Middletown, R.I., on August 14, 2015.

Leslie F. Thompson ’57 of Wakefield, R.I., on September 5, 2015.

Paul G. Jacome ’59 of Lincoln, R.I., on August 15, 2015.

Lucinda Peckham ’60 of Little Compton, R.I., on September 6, 2015.

Elton H. Cohen ’62 of Hoover, Ala., on August 28, 2015.

Henry A. Muller ’62 of Woodville, R.I., on August 20, 2015.

Nathaniel D. Robinson ’63 of Brentwood, Tenn., on August 30, 2015.

Anthony Lepizzera ’66 of Cranston, R.I., on June 19, 2015.

David A. McDonnell ’66 of Louisville, Ky., on June 9, 2015.

Thomas F. Rylands ’66 of North Charleston, S.C., on July 10, 2015.

Fred Stern ’66 of Las Cruces, N.M., on June 21, 2015.

Barbara J. Gremour ’67 of Greenbelt, Md., on July 6, 2015.

Carol E. Ducy ’68 of Myrtle Beach, S.C., on August 16, 2015.

Edward W. McCaffrey ’68 of Greenville, R.I., on July 28, 2015.

Peter J. Turcotte ’69 of Providence, R.I., on September 12, 2015.

Judith C. Walo ’69 of Hyannis, Mass., on July 5, 2015.

Dorothy P. Stevens, M.L.S ’70 of Greenville, R.I., on June 28, 2015.

Robert W. Taylor, M.B.A ’70 of Ancramdale, N.Y., on August 27, 2015.

Sandra L. Spinney ’71 of Bronxville, N.Y., on August 1, 2015.

Ralf Bowersox ’72 of New Bethlehem, Pa., on June 7, 2015.

Garret T. Bush III, M.S. ’72, Ph.D ’81, of Waterford, Conn., on June 16, 2015.

Elliot Feit, M.D. ’72, of Dunwoody, Ga., on August 29, 2015.

Denise A. Filion ’72 of Bristol, R.I., on January 1, 2015.

Robert Hay ’72 of Cranston, R.I., on August 23, 2015.

Dorothy E. Potter ’71 of Warwick, R.I., on September 24, 2015.

Thomas J. Regan ’75 of New City, N.Y., on January 31, 2014.

Joseph A. DePasquale Sr. ’76 of Summerfield, Fla., on September 4, 2015.

Stephen C. Segerson ’76 of Sarasota, Fla., on August 31, 2015.

Richard W. Gariepy ’78 of Stoddard, N.H., on July 26, 2015.

Dennis J. Huntley ’78 of Wakefield, R.I., on September 9, 2015.

Joseph M. Martins ’80 of Newport, R.I., on August 21, 2015.

Robert F. Fura ’81 of North Smithfield, R.I., on August 22, 2015.

Joanne Hologgitas, Ph.D ’82, of Newport, R.I., on September 14, 2015.

Susan W. Morrison ’83 of North Kingstown, R.I., on August 24, 2015.

Rowena Stewart, Hon. ’83, of Jacksonville, Fla., on September 19, 2015.

Amanda Muriel Anne Putnam ’84 of Alexandria, Va., on September 5, 2015.

M. Clifton Robinson IV ’85 of West Newbury, Mass., on March 24, 2015.

Anita I. Boutin ’86 of Biddeford, Maine, on July 27, 2015.

Mortimer C. Robinson IV ’86 of Buttonwood, Mass., on March 24, 2015.

Kim Mastrangelo ’89 of Rochester, N.Y., on August 12, 2014.

Carl Slack ’90 of Jackson, N.H., on April 8, 2015.

Daniel O’Rourke ’93 of Killeen, Texas, on September 13, 2015.

Stanislav E. Antons ’97 of Barrington, R.I., on July 2, 2015.

Robert F. McIntrye ’00 of Seattle, Wash., on July 10, 2015.

Faculty and Staff In Memoriam

Karen Schroeder, Associate Professor Emerita of Human Development and Family Studies, of North Kingstown, R.I., on September 14, 2015.

Leon Goodman, Professor Emeritus of Chemistry, of Wakefield, R.I., on Sept. 24, 2015.

Jon C. Boothroyd, Research Faculty Emeritus of Geosciences, of South Kingstown, R.I., on Oct. 15, 2015.

Timothy Hennessey, Professor Emeritus of Political Science and Marine Affairs, of Wakefield, R.I., on Oct. 8, 2015.

Helen M. Leeming ’87 of North Kingstown, R.I., on Oct. 7, 2015